How many lamps on a dimmer switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to install a dimmer switch with dimmable energy saving bulbs: -

http://www.ebulbshop.com/acatalog/7...DIMMABLE_ENERGY_SAVING_CANDLE_LIGHT_BULB.html

Megaman state that 'You have to divide the maximum rating of the dimmer by 6 to get the amount of CFL power you can use.' So 240w / 6 = 40w.

Just want to be sure though, am I taking the actual power stated (7w) or the equivalent (35w)? Using actual would not make sense to me, as most dimmer switches I have seen have a minimum load of 40w. I only have 2 lamps, so using the actual power, I'd only have 14w.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Just want to be sure though, am I taking the actual power stated (7w) or the equivalent (35w)?
Actual.

Using actual would not make sense to me, as most dimmer switches I have seen have a minimum load of 40w.
Yes, and many dimmers will not work properly with a CFL only load because of that.

I only have 2 lamps, so using the actual power, I'd only have 14w.
Your dimmer may or may not work.

Any ideas?
SIAS.

Sponsored Links
They do a 9W.

I guess it depends what incandescents the OP uses - if 40W he might just be happy with a 9W CFL. Anything brighter and he'll have to put up with a noticeably dimmer light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back