How Many Lights do I Need in My Bathroom?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After 15 years we are finally getting a new bathroom and have had several quotes for some or all of the work. One of the quotes includes for 8 downlights (details not specified) which I feel is a bit excessive for a 1.7 x 2.7 metre bathroom. I had planned on installing 4 pyramid lights (115mm x 115mm) as per the photo, which the spec says take 12v 50W Gx5.3 lamps.

They would be installed as below;

I would really like to use LED lamps. Has anyone any experience of GX5.3 LED's? is there a version that would be equivalent to a 50W halogen and would four be enough for my bathroom? I don't really want to increase this number as I think the ceiling might start to get a bit crowded. However, the fact that the quote mentions 8 downlights has worried us slightly. Presently we have two circular fittings each with a 60W golf ball light which are perfectly adequate There will also be some additional lighting over the mirror.

Sponsored Links
One of the quotes includes for 8 downlights (details not specified) which I feel is a bit excessive for a 1.7 x 2.7 metre bathroom.
It is.

One light, of a type actually designed to light up rooms, will be fine.

I would always have a minimum of two lights in a room, other than prehaps a storeroom or porch, and bathrooms are typically brighter than normal.

Its hard to predict what the light would look like, and we know what you wall/floor/ceiling finishes are, etc. My gut feeling is two of those units with a 50w halogen would be fine, but equally, if the cost isnt to great, put four in and you can always fit 35 or 20w bulbs.

I would avoid downlighters if I could, although its what I have inhereted with my house.

Daniel

Thanks Guys

B-A-S

Generally I agree but when I bought the house there was one 100w centre light, and it was a bit dim in the corners and behind the shower curtain. Two smaller 60w's improved the light distribution. They were sold as bathroom lights 15 years ago, and are enclosed, but they have metal bases and the cover is just clipped on, so not really up to bathroom spec now.

Daniel

I was thinking of four actually. I only have two presently.

As a rule, generally, I like the look of downlights, unless there are lots and lots of them in one room, then it's too much. However I don't like:

1. They can let warm air escape into to loft.
2. Insulation has to be removed around them.
3. Their design limits the spread of light and so more are required when compared with a surface mounted fitting, so using more power.

However, These lights are room sealed with a gasket, and if I fit LED's then I can leave the insulation in place and the power they consume is negligible. So for me, all of the benefits and none of the drawbacks!

Sponsored Links
if I fit LED's then I can leave the insulation in place
1) Make sure of that - even though LEDs produce very little heat, what little they do can damage them very easily, and therefore must be got rid of. Don't just assume that they need no ventilation/clearances.

2) Think about whether you are quite happy to shrug your shoulders and say "down to them, isn't it", if a future occupant puts halogen lamps in there and starts a fire. If you want LED lighting then the decent thing to do would be to install dedicated LED fittings, not general purpose ones which rely on only LED lamps being used in order to be safe.

even though LEDs produce very little heat, what little they do can damage them very easily, and therefore must be got rid of. Don't just assume that they need no ventilation/clearances.
Good point, although I'm not sure how to check that though. I suppose the manufacturer of the LED's will state with their product. Although as they emit little heat, I suppose a smaller gap will suffice when compared to halogens.

If a future occupant puts halogen lamps in there and starts a fire.
I did think about this, however we don't plan to move in near future, although nothing is certain these days! Also, I thought that before much longer Halogens will have gone out of production as being inefficient with energy as the tungsten lamps have already.

They are made by Astro and I got them from Amazon. They were £27 each including delivery when I bought them two weeks ago, when other sites well selling them for £40 to £50 so I thought it was a good deal. However they've gone up now. Pyramid Lights

You still need to buy the lamps and a transformer.

Just downloaded the gumph. Like the zone around the sink.

Time to update/proof read I think!!

@stem. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction(s)

Downlights are useless in a bathroom. If you're lying in the bath you get glare in your eyes. The top lighting is useless for shaving and make-up. For make-up you need side lighting (think theatrical mirror lights) and for shaving you need light from below to illuminate the chin.

I expect that 1 or 2 downlights for general lighting, + mirror lights, will be ample.

Building on Owain's make up comment; the colour temperature needs building into your lamp specification.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back