How many sockets should a room have?

Anywhere you have an extension lead put sockets there instead. I don't reckon you can ever have too many. I put 4 doubles just behind to tv corner! Then I have 5 others around the living room behind furniture, curtains (floor hanging). Plus when It comes to Christmas you might want extras for decorations etc.

There are quite a few extension leads in the house that I've just bought.

Sponsored Links
I disagree with Greenie.

Four double sockets with eight leads dangling is, in my opinion, unsightly even if behind a cabinet.

Much better is one (or two) with extension lead sockets in or near your 'media centre'.

I disagree with Greenie.

Four double sockets with eight leads dangling is, in my opinion, unsightly even if behind a cabinet.

Much better is one (or two) with extension lead sockets in or near your 'media centre'.

I hate extension leads and unsightly wires. 8 plugs, 8 cables running straight to the floor, then onwards to whatever it connects. Defo sockets for me!

I hate extension leads and unsightly wires. 8 plugs, 8 cables running straight to the floor, then onwards to whatever it connects. Defo sockets for me!
Most extension sockets have keyholes on the back to allow them to be fixed to a wall. Does that differ appreciably from multiple sockets?

Another advantage of extension leads is that they allow a whole pile of related things (e.g. AV or IT equipment) to be switched on/off with a single switch.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fair enough.

outlet_wall.jpg

:)

Of course Americans don't have ring final circuits; only radials with limited numbers of sockets on each circuit. The consumer unit for that wall must be huge.

:idea: I wonder which is cheaper - covering the wall with sockets, or plastering it?

I had my house rewired and went with 5 doubles in the living room, 4 in the main bedroom, 3 in the second and third bedroom, 3 in the dining room, 5 in the kitchen and one in the hall.

I am hardly using any of them because all of the electronics (including the dishwasher and washing machine) are plugged into surge protected extensions. The only thing I didn't have plugged into one was my router and it got fried in one of the thunderstorms we had in July.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back