How many spurs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all...,

I have a double socket at the rear of the garage. Wired into it is the combi boiler and plugged in is a four gang extension which heads off to the front of the garage. The four gang irritates me and I would like to replace it with some permanant sockets in which I could leave plugged in the various bits and pieces I use it for.

Will I be able to spur off this socket even though the boiler is already in there and if the answer is yes, can I safely daisy chain say, six sockets in a line off it.

thanks, Mal

Sponsored Links
Assuming the circuit is a 30/32A ring final then your answer, unfortunately, is no.

Cheers Gary,

I have no idea what a "30/32A ring final" is, could you explain please.

Also if not, why not, for what reasons. Sorry but I am inquisitive, I need to know the how's and why's

Muchas.

If it is a ring, you can wire as many sockets off it as you like, as long as they are fed via a 13A FCU.

The problem with this is that you are then limited to a total load of 13A.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Securespark.

I believe it would be a ring. We had a bit building work done a few years back and a new consumer unit fitted. The electrician put the garage sockets into their own thingy on the CU. I have tested it by flicking the switch.

So if I put a junction box ( the cables are just fixed to the garage roof timbers) then a 13amp FCU, I will be able to daisy chain 4-6 sockets to replace the 4 gang extension. 13A for the load will be fine as there is not much of any great wattage connected most of the time. The main reason I want to put the sockets in is to tidy things up save the hanging 4 gang and plugs.

Oh I get the feeling of you don't really understand what you're doing.

1. Firstly the MCB feeding the garage, What number is on it? 16, 30, 32????

2. Are you absolutely sure it is a ring final?

3. You don't neccessarily need a junction box, the FCU could do this, but, you say your boiler is run from this circuit this is normally 3 or 5amps!!!

4. Take some comprehensive pics and post them, of the MCB, and what is in your garage.

5. We'll try and help, but I think you should consider getting an Electrician in to advise you :!: :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back