how much cement/sand for cement block laying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am going to attempt to lay a retaining wall using Tarmac 100 concrete blocks.I will lay them back down to give better strength. It is 9 m long by 1m high so I've calculated 200 blocks. I bought 1 ton of sand and 10 bags of cement, but now i'm wondering if I have under ordered. I don't want to get so far and find I've run out as I plan to do it over the weekend.
Any help would be grand
Cheers

Sponsored Links
'It is 9 m long by 1m high so I've calculated 200 blocks'

What is the calculated concrete volume necessary for this? By converting to densities this should be reasonably easy to solve.

Porky is right; you'd better get some extra blocks in for the weekend.

You are probably in the right area for your sand/cement but why not overbuy - you can always take stuff back. Don't make the mix too strong or you may get a crack in the wall, 1;4 1/2or 5 should be OK.

Sponsored Links
9 blocks high which should gauge 990mm, by 20 long for 9m = 180 Blocks.

1 ton sand and 8 cement should do the job nicely.

your laying solids on there side you your laying 225mm with 10mm full bed
i make that just titch under a tone of sand 11 bags of OPC 2 lime and 200 blocks are you having pairs in the wall?? this will need more materials
and extra footing

Laying blocks on their side does not give extra strength, and actually increases the risk of vertical cracking.

If doing this, you really need to lay 2 course of straight joints and then bond the alternate two course

No your wrong WOODY you can lay solids on there side one course at a time no need to double up as it gives you more load bearing.
for side pressure id lay raking pairs on 9" pairs you can use 215mm Hollow Concrete Blocks 7N with rebar tied into footing then twist tied if over 1.8m then full fill with lean mix concrete :D thats first year NVQ stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back