How much does electric convector or fan heater cost to run

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is cold!
While I try to sort out better insulation... I thought I would get an electric convector or fan or oil heater

Question: how much do these cost to run!?

OK... so there will be variance depending on how much you pay - but surely it would be possible to give a rough estimation?

Say - having on for 4 hours a day

Not sure if running a fan heater for that long would be a good idea - but assume that an oil or convector heater would be OK

Thanks!

OM

Sponsored Links
Your electricity is measured in kilowatts per hour, so your fan heater, which will probably have 2 settings ( 1 KW OR 2KW ) will use either 1 or 2 units of electricity per hour. This should be multiplied by the cost per unit you pay in order to work out the running costs. I have to say though that heating with electricty in this manner is very expensive. Also improving your insulation only helps to retain heat, you still need a decent heat source to prvide that heat.

Try this link it will help you calculate the running costs
http://www.sust-it.net/heating_energy_calculator.php
Getting central heating installed, a gas boiler and rads rather than electric wall heaters, will be more efficient to run and cost effective in the long run.
Although installing a boiler and radiators can be a costly procedure, it should add value to your property.

If you want a more accurate measure you can buy a unit which plugs into a socket and into which you plug the appliance. Measures Voltage, Ampage, Watts, Volt Amps and most importantly for you KWh hours.

It would tell how many Kilowatt hours have been consumed over say a 24hr period from which as said before you can calculate cost. The advantage is that assuming the item is not on 24/7 and is thermostatically controlled you get an accurate reading of how much is being used.

Cost about £15. Think I got mine from Maplin.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343

Sponsored Links
ignore claims that say economic or cheap to run they mean nothing except they are usually underpowered for heating

iff you need 3kw to heat a room and 1kw to maintain the heat then a 3kw fire is best as long as it is thermostaticly controled
a 1kw heater will use more power to raise the temperature to the same level at the same time because it will be on for much longer and most heat will be needed to overcome the heat loss

depends what tariff you are on, but the worst is about 20p/kWh for the first xx units. Less for the subsequent units or if you pay a standing charge instead of a higher rate for the first xx units.

So a 2 kW heater will cost max 2 x 20p = 40p an hour if it runs continuously. Less if it cycles on a thermostat.

Electric cost may be even higher if you have a prepayment meter.

thanks for the replies guys
i didn't get a chance to reply until now
loads of useful help
running an electric heater seems to be *really* expensive!

question: how much does it cost to run the boiler and a central heating for a day?

read your gas meter every day at the same time for 8 days
write those reading on a sheet off paper and work out how many kw you have used via the calculation in your bill

easier answer gas will be around 1/3 the cost off electric dependant on tariff
gas will be somewhere around 75 percent efficient as opposed to near enough 100 percent for electric
gas is roughly half the price for the same heat

if you cant work it out tell us your tarrifs and readings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back