How much is my overflowing toilet costing me?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey there, just wondering - The water supply valve on my toilet seems to be playing up, seen some advice around the forums, just getting my Landlord to get a plumber in soon so no worries really, my question is this - with my cistern just slightly overflowing but at a constant rate, how much do you think it will have cost me over the last couple of days?

Sponsored Links
How long is a piece of string? at what rate is the water flowing 1/2 ltr /min, 1/2 ltr / hr, without knowing at what rate the water is running it is impossible to guess. But if it takes 5 mins to fill a cup then that is about 2 liters an hour x24. 50 liters a day 100 liters 2 days about a £0.50

Last year a regular customer asked me why her last couple of metered water bills had doubled in price. On investigation, it turned out her wc was slightly overflowing. As it was the type that overflows into the pan rather than through a pipe to outside, you had to look really hard to notice it. You could just see a slight movement/ripple on the surface of the water in the pan.

If yours is similar, then poss. it has doubled your usage. Who knows? As Peter says, it will be a guess.

Double the water usage - over a couple of days - not going to break the bank.

1 cubic metre of water is billed @ c.£2.00 that`s 1000 litres or 220 gallons . :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
1p a short flush [5.5L]2p[11L] a full flush
this assumes £1.90p per unit/1000L/tonne off water so at say 5.5L an hour as petertheplumber12 says 50p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back