How much to install Megaflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been quoted £2000 to install a megaflow system, does this seem reasonable? I have got a 3 bed bungalow with one room in loft.(being built at present) We will have 2 ensuites and further bathroom after works completed. Because we need to knock down airing cupboard and resite tank to allow for stairs to loft, we thought we would upgrade to megaflow to service 2 showers and 1 bath.

Plumber has quoted £2000 to move tank from hall to roof void and change to Megaflow is this reasonable cost. If not enough room in loft (as being converted) is it possible to put Megaflow in garage? With frost protection?

Help re this would be much appreciated

cheers

Sponsored Links
Its impossible to give an exact cost without seeing the job. You don't state the size of tank which will hugely affect the cost.

Of course know it is impossible to 'quote' online! Was just hoping for some feedback re the £2000 ? Presumably the megaflow will be big enough to cope with 3 bathrooms. Online prices for Megaflow seem to put top of range about £900, so basically I guess I'm asking is £1100 right for rest of work?

What you are asking is impossible.

A typical response on this forum is some respondents saying they would have charged £1500 and others saying £2400. In other words, you'll be no wiser.

Why don't you just get two quotes from people who have SEEN the job and make your own mind up?

You can put an unvented cylinder in the garage, to answer your specific question. As for suitability for your bathrooms, this is often asked and depends on the usage patterns of the bathrooms and what your incoming water flow rate is into the house. Do not be swayed by the name Mega-flo - what you get in your house will be determined by the incoming water main. Megaflo is just a tin with an inlet and outlet pipe.

PS: How much would you charge to paint my house? It's 5 bedrooms and two storeys high. I thought I would go for an off white colour. I've had a quote for £4300, is this fair?

Sponsored Links
It sounds to me as if you are on the way to a disaster!

Any unvented has to have an adequate mains water supply flow rate. With three bathrooms you will need 50 litres per min or more!

Has anyone measured yours?

Do all those quoting you have the required qualification and will they notify Building Control ?

For three bathrooms you would need 300 litres minimum if you wanted to have use of all facilities at the same time and take economic baths.

On the other hand if you are just a couple who just likes to have lots of empty rooms then a 200 litre and 30 li/min would suffice.

Tony

Quotes from corgi regesitered plumber, Building Inspector will have to pass as part of loft conversion.

Don't understand why plumbers cannot give opinion on costs! Have just rang friend of a friend (unfortunately lives too far to do job) but he could tell me straight waway the APPROX cost of removing a cylinder and replacing with mega flow.

For all I know it could cost £400 to do this type of work or £4000, just wanted a rough guide really.

You can not have a rough guide.

Please note forum rule 9

Still waiting for my house painting quote. What's keeping you? :rolleyes:

From what you say, it does not sound UNreasonable. Does that help?

To install an unvented cylinder you do not need to be CORGI you you DO need and Unvented Certificate!

Its impossible to give an indication of cost without knowing the size of cylinder !

£2000 would be about right for 300 li.

You dont seem to have taken heed of the warnings I have given you above.

Tony

I will re-paint your house for 5 million pounds - does this seem reasonable? Whoops forgot....... not allowed to ask ;)

just done a quote for a customer using the cheapest 210 litre unvented cylinder for £1900.00
using a mega flo £2300 labour will be about £750 easy job.

what you need to understand is this job requires certification and can only be done by qualified persons.

this is your home pay the money for a quality product and oay a pro to install it surely you would not want it installed for a few hundred pounds by an unqualified person or maybe you think pro should be paid peanuts.

these systems need to be installed correctly remember cheap is not good in this line of work

Wow, you have just replied to a thread which is 9 years old!

Hopefully it was all installed at some price then!

My telephone quote basic price for fitting an unvented cylinder in the same place as an existing cylinder is £490. But that would go up a lot in some cases as upgrading the supply pipe is often required to get an adequate flow rate.

Tony

Wow, you have just replied to a thread which is 9 years old!

Hopefully it was all installed at some price then!

My telephone quote basic price for fitting an unvented cylinder in the same place as an existing cylinder is £490. But that would go up a lot in some cases as upgrading the supply pipe is often required to get an adequate flow rate.

Tony
Yep did not notice how long ago and my quote is to replace a thermal store to unvented so will have to run discharge fit new controls blah blah blah I think is competitive not far from my home
Cheers for posting

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back