Megaflow, mega expensive??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, am hoping someone can help us. We have been quoted £4,500 to supply and install a new megaflow tank with 6m pump and a boiler. We are changing from a gravity fill system. We have been upgrading the bathrooms in a very run down house, and the reason for the pump is because we have a shower room in the loft with the tank on the ground floor..

Is this about the right cost? Just feels very expensive, but I don't know how much of a huge job it it. All the pipework has been replaced going down to the tank.

Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you tried getting a couple of other quotes? I recently installed a vaillant 630 system boiler with a unistor 180 litre unvented cylinder and controls. The boiler, cylinder and controls cost over £2,000 alone without all the labour , pipe, fittings etc. Get a quote from BG aswell. Sit down before you read it, usually very high as compared to the independents :)

There are lots of different boilers and the cylinders range from a tiny 125 litre to 500 litre.

In the generality that quote does not sound unreasonable but its all down to the specifications!

Tony

Sponsored Links
the reason for the pump is because we have a shower room in the loft with the tank on the ground floor..

Is your mains pressure very poor then? Megaflo's run on mains pressure, up to a max of 3 bar output. If the Megaflo is on the ground floor then you'll lose some pressure by the time you get to the top rooms, but you should still have a good 1.5 - 2 bar i reckon, unless your mains pressure is starting lower than 3 bar in the first place.

Incidentally, if a pump is required then it'll need to be a twin feed so it pumps your cold up there as well.

Vaillant ecotec 600 series boiler and unistor cylinder would be your best bet and I don't think you'll need the 6m head pump. I think £3500 all in is about right as a guesstimate. Boiler will have full 2 year warranty and cylinder 25yr guarantee against leaks.

Prices in Northampton are lower than the rest of the UK.

Every Monday morning all the vans leave about 0630 to take the plumbers down to work in London!

We would do it for about £3500 but we seem to underquote most others.

Tony

I suppose costs of living and working is London add 15-20% onto bill. Northampton/ Midlands is alot cheaper thats true.

Its only the East Midlands thats cheaper.

Go towards the West Midlands and its much the same as the rest of the UK until you get to the Black Country where its a bit cheaper again.

:eek:fftopic: :eek:fftopic: curses, where's an Off Topic smiley when you need one!?

You can't use a pump with a megaflo, or any unvented come to that.

Your shower must be piped back to the megaflo for the hot and a balanced cold taken for the shower cold supply.

You can't use a pump with a megaflo, or any unvented come to that.

Your shower must be piped back to the megaflo for the hot and a balanced cold taken for the shower cold supply.

could it not be that the op was referring to a 6m boiler pump.

I did wonder that as well, but as she mentioned the shower in the same breath I assumed it was a shower pump.

Also as the shower is in 'the loft' she would prbably need a system boiler which, as we all know, has the pump built in.

We will have to wait and see :confused:

Hi, thank you for all your replies. The pump is a boiler pump, not a shower pump.

So from what you're all saying, sounds like 4.5k quote is a bit high. We'll get another quote. Any of you work in wimbledon?!

Yes.

But with the basic information you have provided (eg: no cylinder type, no boiler type) it is very difficult to say whether we would be any more competitive from here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back