how much to replace a consumer unit

And are CUs using them no longer manufactured and sold?

Vibro never ceases demonstrating what a t**t he is, does he.

Now, now BAS no need for the t**t comment! Had enough from an ex forum member who is not allowed to post any more for this reason.:rolleyes:

Are you saying that the current set up complies with the current regulations? Considering that there is no RCD protection on any circuit! Or have you simply misunderstood what I have said?

Sponsored Links
hidesbehindsofa.gif

Have you any idea of the age of the electrical installation?

An Electrical Installation Condition Report will determine (so far as reasonably practical) if the installation is in a satisfactory condition for continued use.

This is your best bet as there is no point in upgrading the consumer unit if the rest of the installation is not up to scratch. It's amazing how many installations I come across that have a nice new consumer unit but are really in need of a complete rewire.

It's also amazing how many people automatically condemn BS3036 fuses just by looking at them.

its callled a market rate. if you want trade you price accordingly.
OK - as I see it there are 2 ways you can proceed.

1) You can keep on arguing here until someone posts a figure which you think is reasonable, at which point you can go back to the electrician, tell him what you were told, and expect him to agree.

2) You can get some other quotes from other electricians.

Which do you think is most likely to succeed in establishing the market rate for the job you want done?

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that the current set up complies with the current regulations?
Completely? No.

Considering that there is no RCD protection on any circuit!
Indeed there is not.

Or have you simply misunderstood what I have said?
Don't think so. You said this:

Just because you have fuse carriers does not mean that your installation is unsafe. All it means is that you are not compliant with the current regs
As ricicle asked, are BS3036 fuses not mentioned in BS7671:2008 then?

And as I asked, are CUs using them no longer manufactured and sold?

What is is about having fuse carriers which does not comply with BS 7671:2008?

If they don't comply, why are Wylex still making and selling their Standard product range?

I was simply making a general statement regarding his current installation. I maybe could have worded my post better in regards to this.
3036 are mentioned in BS7671 and do comply with current regs as long as there is RCD protection or installed in the correct fashion as to omit a RCD. What I was merely getting at is that the set up as is does not comply with current regs but this does not mean his current installation is not safe. Which is why i mentioned that an EICR should be done first as the work iss not automatically needed.

I was simply making a general statement regarding his current installation. I maybe could have worded my post better in regards to this.
3036 are mentioned in BS7671 and do comply with current regs as long as there is RCD protection or installed in the correct fashion as to omit a RCD. What I was merely getting at is that the set up as is does not comply with current regs but this does not mean his current installation is not safe. Which is why i mentioned that an EICR should be done first as the work iss not automatically needed.

well done vibro , i agree with your post entirely. I am due a full time electrician to put up some wall lights , ceiling lights and some other bits but he keeps saying he will pop round but doesnt. ive been waiting 2 months and he hasnt even quoted yet for the work. he is busy and supposedly good local guy so i will see if he is eicr or whatever , and can check it all over , and maybe quote for the board to be changed -if its neccessary ! . some people on here get their kacks in a twist. The guy who keeps arguing all tradesmen should be paid the same is disolusioned . Plumbers earn more per day than electricians carpenters painters plasterers. I dont particularly know why and maybe its not fair but they do, There was a shortage of them a few years back and that did allow them to charge alot. plumbers tend to charge by the hour with call out aswell on smaller jobs , other trades do not , or Ive not heard they do,. A quote is given and thats it. If that forum member can charge by the hour and get what plumbers do then he is lucky there is no competition otherwise he would get alot less business apart from old ladies who dont get other quotes. I never really got an answer to my question at the beginning , how long does a replacement cu take approx and how much should he charge . Do all electricians charge between 200-250 a day outside london ? My guess would be 150

how long does a replacement cu take approx and how much should he charge . Do all electricians charge between 200-250 a day outside london ? My guess would be 150
FFS - as I see it there are 2 ways you can proceed.

1) You can keep on asking here until someone posts a figure which you think is reasonable, at which point you can go back to the electrician, tell him what you were told, and expect him to agree.

Which do you think is most likely to succeed in establishing what you are going to have to pay for the job you want done?

I would recommend getting at least 3 quotes to carry out this work before choosing an electrician. You should also ask for references from their previous customers. Asking on a forum is not the best idea to agree prices that you find acceptable. You will get electricians that will come round and price up the job on the merits of what he sees on site.
And don't forget that this work is notifiable so make sure the electricians are part of an approved scheme or notify building control before the work is carried out. You should also receive an electrical installation certificate on completion of the work.

how long does a replacement cu take approx and how much should he charge . Do all electricians charge between 200-250 a day outside london ? My guess would be 150
FFS - as I see it there are 2 ways you can proceed.

1) You can keep on asking here until someone posts a figure which you think is reasonable, at which point you can go back to the electrician, tell him what you were told, and expect him to agree.

Which do you think is most likely to succeed in establishing what you are going to have to pay for the job you want done?

I read all that before . No need to shout and get abusive.I really didnt think it was hard to answer how much an electrician thinks he can charge per day for a job and how long changing a CU takes but obviously no one knows !! Unbelievable ! Ive been ripped off , or almost ripped off so many times by tradesmen that its a joke. I always have to get 3 qoutes for every thing because for example one will say 75 another 200 and another 300 for the same job which might be 1/2 day work so some people just take the mickey . I had some tree work done a while back , one bloke wanted 3600 another 1700 and another 900 all council reg with insurance etc etc

I wouldn't work in Suffolk for any less than £400 a day, I'd also put a 300% mark up on materials as the customers there sound like a right pain.

When trades are involved it seems alot of people think the cheapest is the best, funny that the same people wont apply this rule to the purchase of vehicles, clothes, food or drinks!

I wouldn't work in Suffolk for any less than £400 a day, I'd also put a 300% mark up on materials as the customers there sound like a right pain.

When trades are involved it seems alot of people think the cheapest is the best, funny that the same people wont apply this rule to the purchase of vehicles, clothes, food or drinks!

ha ha john . well your petrol costs would be high getting there. i am not a pain , i just get fed up with chancers. If a CU costs 75 why do some electricians recon its cost 150 , others the correct 75 , and then all the vast differences in their labour costs. i recon some tradesmen charge 2-3 times more than others hoping they only need one job in 3 to earn the same but also do less actual work so more free time. if they can get away with ripping the odd person off then ok , but where are their ethics . I wouldnt do it.

where are their ethics . I wouldnt do it.

Every company you deal with charges as much as you/the market will bear.

I can imagine you digging a massive hole for yourself if the attitude thats come across here is conveyed to your spark.

An example, you insist that you just want the cu (supplied by you)changed and nothing else. I could do it for £100 up front and I could be pretty sure that some of the circuits will no longer work. And I would have complied with esc guidelines because your installation is safer than before. But you would probably be sitting in the dark and I will be sitting in the pub spending your £100.

On the other hand, I could do it properly including supplying all materials for about £500, which includes full test and certification, notification and 30 minutes for fault finding /repairs.
ok ok I will check out his credentials .Maybe he is not the best bloke to do it , even if it needs doing . Thanks for the reply Holmslaw

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back