How much water to concrete mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m laying flat top concrete edging with a drier mix for the bedding and a wet mix for the haunching

I am using 6 spades ballast to 1 spade cement mix

For bedding the concrete edging in, how much water do I need to add to that mix? I think my first mix was too dry (I barely added water) and for the next edging course I went to get it correct

So, for every 6 spades ballast/1 spade cement how much water should I add for the bedding concrete?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hardly any, and can’t quantify it because depends on how wet/damp your ballast is. Damp and crumbly is the best description I can think of

I’m laying flat top concrete edging with a drier mix for the bedding and a wet mix for the haunching

I am using 6 spades ballast to 1 spade cement mix

For bedding the concrete edging in, how much water do I need to add to that mix? I think my first mix was too dry (I barely added water) and for the next edging course I went to get it correct

So, for every 6 spades ballast/1 spade cement how much water should I add for the bedding concrete?

Cheers
That is a classic piece of string question. We add water accordingly, depending on whether we are haunching, bedding or laying a floor etc. Always mix it as wet as you dare. Concrete LOVES water.

P.S. It's 'shovel' not spade. A spade is for gardening. :mrgreen:

Since you mentioned that your first mix was too dry, you may want to increase the amount of water slightly for your next mix until you find the right balance of workability and stiffness. It's also helpful to adjust the amount of water based on the moisture content of the ballast and the weather conditions on the day you're mixing the concrete.

Sponsored Links
6 & 1 is weak mix.

Water quantity? Machine or hand mix?

In a machine, mixing order usually reckon 1l water, 6l 20 mm gravel, 4l sand & 2lt cement.

By hand 6lt gravel, 4lt sand, 2lt cement and enough water added in stages to cause a 'flumph' sound when knocking together. Start with 3/4lt water and add more as necessary.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back