How much weight can my brick wall take?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

This might seem a silly question, but for me it is an important one! I am looking to add sound proofing panels to my party wall in the living room and dining room in a 1930's semi-detached.

My concern is how do I know how much weight the walls can safely take? The panels are 29kg per square metre and they are held in with hammerfix screws, straight to the brickwork through the existing plaster.

It's a solid brick wall - not a cavity wall - and the alcoves that I am covering are 2.6 square metres each. That is about 76kg added to each alcove. Is this amount of weight something I'd need a structural engineer for? And is it something that would require a party wall agreement?

Thanks so much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Shouldn't be a problem - but is this the best way to reduce sound? Sure I read here once that a better method is to build a stud wall that does not touch the wall, fill that with acoustic insulation and boards, and use loads of "green glue".

Party Wall - don't think you would ... you are not going into the wall, just hanging something on it. But, maybe tell your neighbour you are doing it, and ask them if they have ever thought about doing same? Whatever you do would be more effective if done both sides.

Curious - what are the panels you are putting up? Have you thought also about additional options, such as solid bookcase full of books and stuff? That will help a bit too.

Hi Jonbey. Thanks for the response.
The stud wall option is the best option for reducing sound, but would take up a significant amount of space in the room. The panels are soundproof plasterboard with mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam attached to the back. They take up around 3cm rather than 15cm of building a separate stud wall. There are many brands including Soundboard or Muteboard.
On one side of the room, I'll probably build some cupboards in front of them to make it even quieter.

Hi OP did you end up installing these panels? What was the outcome? Looking at doing the same and also investigating the weight issue as well as wondering if they were effective for you. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
You’re wrong it’s not a silly question, it’s a ridiculous question.OP. I suppose I am being a bit of a jerk but seriously, don’t mess around with things you no little about. DM me and I’ll talk you through it 07976 677843

Question was posted in 2019, you're a bit late.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back