How much would a new roof cost quote?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody any help would be appreciated I’m looking to get a new main roof installed on my house. It currently has the original slate roof which has leaks in it and has no breather membrane underneath the tiles, I have been quoted a range of different prices from 6k-18k. Could anybody please advise a roughy quote of cost, things I would want in the roof are redland 49 tiles, breathable membrane, tannelised battens, dry verge system and a bonding gutter system between my new roof and neighbours roof. The house has a flat roof along the side and back of the house so less scaffolding is needed? Any advice would be helpful thank you I have added pictures to describe I live in Harrow London house is semi detached

Attachments

• IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    277.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    297.6 KB · Views: 109
Sponsored Links
I would say your quotes are about right, 6 k will be the slap it on quickly from dodgy scaffolding using cheap labour, the 18k will be a roofing team doing it slowly with proper care.

Those tiles are not slate. I live in Ruislip, we have similar clay(?) tiles.

Your scaffolding only needs to be one lift. I don't think that the flat roofs will make much difference to the overall cost of the scaffolding. If I were to guess.. 10% less. But I am only guessing.

If you want, I can ask other tradesmen that I know in west london to recommend a roofer. I do know a roofer, that by association, I trust. He lives in Hayes but I don't know it he wants to deal with full roofs or just repair work.

Sponsored Links
18k is a good price in London, check previous work. 6k is too good to be true

Blup

A similar house in Rugby, needs a major refurb on the roof told the ball park figure - £20,000

What you need to do is specify exactly what you want done, and ensure that the quotes come back itemised with what the contractor will do, and then you can compare the quotes like for like.

Shame you are in London, neighbour just had identical job done with new slates by a well known local for £10k, even for London £18k sounds a bit steep to me, get another quote.

18k is way too much, how they can justify that is beyond me, it was a reputable company good reviews on google and Checkatrade, they were based in Oxford but Oxford to Harrow only 40 miles, and they said they work in all of London. Seems like a standard roofing job but hard to know who to trust. Thanks for advice

Can I ask all the roofers is this the best join between two house roofs the gutter is this the best way to do it, rather than the semi circle tile thing? Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3382.png
    IMG_3382.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
Secret gutter will look a darn sight better (and done well be more reliable) than slapping on an ugly run of half round hip tiles, yeah..

..but really not cheaping out, swapping the rosemaries for concrete and thus needing a gutter at all would have been best, that way it keeps a nice roof. Second place goes to doing both houses at the same time in the same concrete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back