How old were you when you started? And anyone self employed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wondering when most of you started out, were you all 16 straight from school? Or have a few started a little later.

Also anyone Self Employed? And did you do this after working for someone and had enough, or went straight into the deep end after college/apprentice?

Sponsored Links
I went from school to University and have woked for the CEGB and now National Grid for the last 27 years. Never been self-employed nor worked for anyone else.

Gone from school to the army from there on to electronics / communications tec & was fortunate enough for the company I work for to offer me the chance of doing the following courses C & G2360 part 1&2 ,C & G 2381 and next up is C & G 2391, handy as I've always helped my dad on the sites with the electrics, so I've registered self employed & am awaiting part p assessment so I can continue doing weekend work with the view of doing it full time at the age of 38 years old.

Started out in Radio & TV (valves), joined P.O. and worked in telecoms then became a field engineer with computers. After 2nd redundancy sat behind a desk giving IT support for medical software. Finally got off my butt and took and passed 2360 2391 2377 and a few other modules at night school all in one year and started my own business. Paid £5.52 tax in first year thanks to wifes genius with accounts. Registered with NICEIC as Approved Contractor.

Sponsored Links
Served 4 year apprenticeship, worked mainly in industrial/commercial sectors apart from 5 years house bashing for Electricity board, last couple of jobs were mainly PLC programming and robotics.

After 3rd redundancy, started up on my own at 45, doing mainly industrial installation and maintenance, with a smattering of domestic

Qedelec said:
Started out in Radio & TV (valves), joined P.O. and worked in telecoms then became a field engineer with computers. After 2nd redundancy sat behind a desk giving IT support for medical software. Finally got off my butt and took and passed 2360 2391 2377 and a few other modules at night school all in one year and started my own business. Paid £5.52 tax in first year thanks to wifes genius with accounts. Registered with NICEIC as Approved Contractor.

Can i ask how old you were when you started the night course? And are you on your own now, or got extra people working for you?

Thanks

Hightowermark said:
Can i ask how old you were when you started the night course? And are you on your own now, or got extra people working for you?

Thanks

If I told you I was at the Festival of Britain would that give you a clue?
Wasn't born but my mother was (I think), the 1 millionth visitor, and she was carrying me, but I digress.
Started Monday and Wednesday nights autumn 2003, added Thursday nights for 2391, did 2377 as a two day course. I was exempted from 2360 pt1 as I had quals in other Technical C&G disciplines, but took the exams and the assignments to make sure.
I am a sole trader but I have others who I can call on for a larger job. Met most of them at College and we use each other as we need to.
If you want to mail me my addy is in my profile, I will do my best to help if I can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back