How on earth do you value a car before buying?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at a complete loss on this. Finding a car to buy in my area is hard enough but checking the asking price is impossible.
I just saw a Mazda cx-5 for £6750 on auto trader. Auto trader say that's £650 under market value. So I went on parkers who value it at £4750. That's with the milage etc taken into consideration. Anyone got a way of doing this?

Sponsored Links
At the end of the day, it’s worth what someone will pay for it. If they are selling for silly prices, that’s the price you’ll have to pay to get one. ULEZ hasn’t helped.

Agree, a car is worth what someone is prepared to pay, forget any valuation sites and take any autotrader prices or ebay sold prices with a pinch of salt.

Just look at similar cars for sale really, you will get an idea of current prices.
Prices are silly but people are still buying.

Sponsored Links
The car is worth as cheaply as the seller is willing to sell for. So, go have a haggle. The lowest price you can get to is how much it is worth. Here's how it is done:

i used autotrader and looked at cars nationwide and then adjust for mileage location.
But a friend of mine a few years had a car and wanted at least £3000 she was offered £900 from a garage and autotrader had up for around the £1800-2100 range
she put some notes up in shop widows and we out up a small add in various Free papers for £3300 and she got the asking price to my surprise !!!!!!!!!!
she was also in no rush, husbands car (who passed away) , so was prepared just to wait

as said before , whatever someone is willing to pay

Thanks everyone. I've been thinking the same sort of things.
So I'll try and get an idea of prices being asked. I googled what's a average for a haggle and it reckons 11 percent. Also I suppose if there's a warranty and a fresh MOT ect that could explain a higher asking price.
I've got a couple more questions, I'm going to start another thread as they are different to this but you lot might have some ideas. Cheers.

Back