How some people live!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Did a periodic today at an old couples house. Got there and saw that there was one wylex, 5 ways, 1 x 30A and 4 x 5A.

Its only a small house, 2 up and 2 down.

Anyway found out that the 30A was the cooker point in the kitchen. That was all there was in the kitchen. Then found 1 15A socket in the bedroom upstairs. Couldnt find the mcb it was fed from then discovered one of the plugs (15A again) next to the cooker point saying 'upstairs' on it! Yep you gussed it, if you want power upstairs you plug in at the cooker. Then 1 6A mcb fed an old 5A socket for the fridge. 1 6A mcb fed the socket for the tv in the lounge & one 6A did the 6 lights in total!!

There was no inside toilet (only an old outdoor privvy) and no bathroom (there was a bucket under the sink which I guess they use for washing. Anyway went to go back into the lounge to plug tv back in and there was Mrs squatting over a comode....... :mad: Quickly appologised and got out of there ASAP.

Surprisingly the insulation readings wernt bad (40meg) but there was a lot of rubber. Luckily its all on 30ma RCD. But its thatch and with no mechanical protection in the loft, I think a rewire is in order! :(

All in a days work I guess.

Sponsored Links
OMG... where were you? :eek: Wales?

Had the couple been there from first build?

Didn't you feel sorry for them and o££er to give them the luxury of a permanent socket in every room?

No sweet old Devon actually! They had been there a while I'd imagine not sure how long tho! To be honest I really wouldnt want the work of rewiring it! :)

Sponsored Links
I did a house like that as an apprentice.

When we arrived it had the cooker point with 15A socket in the kitchen, and a 5A socket on the landing.

There was also about 4 lights in the house.

That was it.

All wired in lead cable. :eek:

How depressing that that cooker point has been there 50+ years, yet its cables were never recessed into the wall . . . :(

Did the periodic because for the insurance they need it (its a thatched house).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back