How thick is the partywall for a semi-detached built in 20s?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have moved in to a semi detached 1920's property several years ago. The Sound insulation is very poor- I can hear everything from the neighbours. When I say everything I mean TV, talking, doors closing e.t.c. It was'nt like this before, but it started when I can hear my neighbour chipping away at the party wall and can hear bits of debris falling down. I didn't think much of it, but this went on and off for nearly two years. I was wondering if he had thinned the wall or is this technique possible and for what reason, as they won't answer the door when I knock. I thought that the party wall for most houses are a least two layers of bricks thick i.e 18 inches? Please can any one offer some advice, thanks Bob.

Sponsored Links
Best way to find out is either by checking in the roof space or under the floor if they are timber suspended.
They vary between one and two courses thick. ie 112 or 225 mm
There is no way that I know of that your neighbour can reduce the thickness.

he might have removed a fireplace or chimneybreast. very often where they are back-to-back there is only half-brick between the two flues (but the pargetting, flue liner, chimneybreast adds to this... until it is removed.

the brickwork is often badly sealed, since it was not intended to be on show there may be gaps in the mortar, and it may be cracked due to heat of fires.

If he is weird enough he might have taken off the plaster to give exposed brick.

Sponsored Links
Hi all, I suppose I could use a 6 inch drill and try drilling through it, but how would I check the roof space or under the floor as you may have to go quite deep won't you? Thanks for you advice. Bob.

drill was a joke. but if you go uner or above you can look

for example under my floor i can crawl to the party wall and poke my hand through the gaps ( i think / assume they are for ventilation)

The reason they don't answer the door when you knock is that they can't hear you - they are going deaf and that is why the TV and talking is louder than it was.

If the chimney breast has been removed, that is a bad move- soundwise.

The breast gives stability and rigidity to the whole wall and breaks up sound resonances within the room concerned. Without this the sound in that room will tend to be amplified somewhat. (the bathroom sound!)
Of course, other changes may have been made.

Make a recording of the sounds when they become annoying.

And set to play back very loud when you are out! :evil:

I think he probably did do something to the chimney breast or at least fitted a Fitted wardrobe in chimney breast. Under the party wall act he should have infomred me of this. Thanks for you advice, more appreciated.

The neighbour obviously doesn't want to talk to you, so I guess you could contact the Environmental Health and/or the Building Control Depts of your local Council. They might be able to get access and provide both of you with the legal position.

Thanks for the reply.

My neighbour has not informed me or ask for permission to do what he has done under the Party Wall Act either through a letter or informal chat. I had confronted him about it but he was hostile about it.

I had contracted both the Enviromental Health and Building Control departments both couldn't help me. Enviromental Health said that because the noise was a result from the alteration of the walls, they had no laws which can bring the neighbouir into account.

Building Control came round to check both my property and next door, eventhough the guy next door was reluctant to let the inspector in, only after the threat of a warrant was he allowed in. The inspector found to my surprise that the chimney breast was still there although a fire place was put in, eventhough when I knocked on thier door a week earlier the fire place was absent. Whats more strange is the day prior to the inspection I can hear from next door a mad rush on a big DIY job, I could hear the hammering, drilling e.t.c. This went on for nearly 20 hours, the guy next door didn't even sleep. He worked from the morning and into the next morning, because he is used to working the late morning shifts. I am suspicious that he may have friends or relatives with the council who may have given him the heads up on the inspection.

I am really stuck now, can anyone please help?

Has the reinstallation of the fire place suppressed the noise coming from their side?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back