How to Adjust Dishwasher Pressure Switch (Indesit)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My dishwasher (indesit DIFP36) is not filling with enough water which is causing a number of issues: you can clearly listen the re circulation pump pulling air then water (then air then water...) wish cause all sorts of issues (one of which is not washing properly and not rinsing properly).

I've tried opening the machine's door while it's washing and manually throwing in about 1L of water and when it resumes it starts working properly so I'm quite sure the issue is not filling with enough water.

After much Googling I found some posts that suggest how to adjust the pressure switch but the one on my machine seems to be different.

I have one of these: "Indesit Group Pressure Switch 85/65 DEA602" (such as the one shown here http://www.buyspares.co.uk/pressure-switch-8565-dea602/product.pl?pid=2276353)

Instead of just one screw as mentioned on many posts, this one has 2 screws. My question is really which screw adjusts the filling level.

I've looked inside the machine and I could not find any easier way to adjust this. There is an air tube that goes from the bottom of the machine (ie the recipient just under the metal grid inside the machine) directly to this switch and that's it.

I've blown into the switch and you hear the clicking sound when pressure increases so it should be ok.

Can someone please point me to where I can find information about adjusting the pressure switch or, otherwise, if there is any simpler way to make the machine load more water?

Thanks
Pedro

Sponsored Links
That model is not known in the uk. But you can't adjust the Presure switch otherwise it will leak out of the door and cause more probs. make sure the arms are clear and if there's a ring but on the back where the top tray goes that's poss worn.

thanks for your reply.

the machine is practically new and it has always done this. I've made several claims under Warranty but surprisingly Indesit has changed a number of (expensive parts) but they don't seem to have a clue about what's going on.

I've even made a claim directly to the manufacturer but they refused to exchange the machine (and are unable to fix this).

It's a very clear case of insufficient water as adding it manually during the wash solves the issue.

The other side of the issue is that it doesn't rinse properly (since there's not enough water and it circulates badly) creating serious health concerns about the detergent left on the dishes.

Pedro.

Hi all

I just wanted to share a quick update on my progress: I manually adjusted the Air Pressure Switch (this is an Indesit 85-65 DEA602 air pressure switch model C00274118 and I now have the machine working in top shape!

To increase the amount of water you should turn the center screw clock wise. (my Air PRessure Switch has 2 screws: one at the ceter and one at the edge)
Make small adjustments (a quarter of a turn at a time).

This screw will be sealed by some sort of red glue. (probably to keep it in place with vribrations). Just turn it with some force and this glue will release the screw.

In my machine the Air Pressure Switch is activated aproximatelly at mid fill.

I only needed to tighten the adjustment screw by 1/4 of a turn to get it working properly. This has increased the qty of water and the machine is working very well.

You can run a quick program (a pre wash) to check if it's filling up correctly and repeat the adjust-test process until you're satisfied.
The machine should be leveled at all times when you are testing.

I recommend you run a couple of Complete (long) cycles to check everythting is ok.
Then secure the position of Air Pressure Switch adjustment Screw with a bit of super glue (only put a small amount on one of the sides, so that you can later re adjust if necessary).
This will keep in place even with the machine's vibrations.

My machine has been working great so far and I hope it keeps up it's the great results.

As rocks1 said you can make the machine overfil if you misadjust them. Therefore make these adjustments carefully.
Take small steps at a time. If the machine starts mis behaving (for example filling and then immediatelly expelling the water you've probably turned the screw too much and it's trigering the overfill protection mechanism; go back and undo what you did last).

My work was based off the article I found here: http://www.ehow.com/how_5018841_adjust-pressure-switch-dishwasher.html

The main difference is that my Air Pressure Switch is in a different location and is adjusted differently. (you turn clockwise to increase water level and pressure to the nozzles).

Disclaimer: Air pressure switches are really sensitive devices. Always mark your starting position and make small icnrements.
I can't and won't be responsible for any damage that may occur while attenpting this.
Most of all, I wanted to share my experience that may be useful to others.
I don't know if it was my Air Pressure switch that was faulty or misadjusted from the factory (maybe if I had replaced it the issue would be fixed by itself I don't know).

Pedro.

Sponsored Links
Hi Pedro
I have a similar issue on a Indesit IDL530.
found your VERY HELPFUL post when googling the pressure switch.

My question, what is the water depth required.
how far up the grey tower just behind the lower spray bar.
does the water now cover the element?

TIA George.

Hi

I don't know what's the exact height needed.

From my experience I suggest that you use a permanent marker and mark the original position before making any adjustment.

Typically you should only need to turn the adjustment screw by 1/8th or 1/4 of a turn. (make small increases)
In practice raising the water level 1 or 2 mm seems to be enough.

What I have found is that if you over adjust (ie raise the water level too much), in my machine it shortens the wash cycles to a point where it won't wash for long enough and therefore dishes come out dirty.
( This is probably bc being an energy efficient machine the electronics that adjust the wash cycle according to the load and dirtyness get confused ).

Another thing that is VERY important to do is to _seal the screws in their final position_ when you complete the adjustment.
You can do this by puring some candle wax over the screw or using superglue.
If you fail to do this, the vibration (along with the springs that push the screws) cause them to come out of adjustment.

In my case, the machine worked great for quite a while but since I had not marked the initial positions and didn't lock the screws properly (not enough superglue I guess), they mis adjusted with time and I lost track of the adjustment. I ended up having to get a replacement pressure switch bc of this.
Coincidentally I haven't had the need to tinker with the new one though; with this new one it seems to work much better.

As a final note: another thing I have found is that the rinse product tends to worsen things if you have a case of too much foaming with insufficient water.
The rinse agents tend to create foam when the water heats up; if your machine doesn't use enough water to wash it off or there's a leak in the reservoir, the rinse agent it builds up with each cycle and the machine starts creating foam during the wash (which in turn worsens the problem of lack of water).

I'm not sure if my machine also has a leakages in the rinse system (I don't think so but I'm not risking it). I ended up emptying the rinse agent reservoir and now use tabs with built in rinse agent. This way I'm sure each cycle only gets the necessary amount of rinse agent.

It's been working great and, as I said, I haven't had the need to tinker with the new pressure switch so far which is nevertheless interesting.

Best Regards
Pedro[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back