How To Bed Tiles Onto External Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have built our dormer and now need to bed one row of tiles and install the soakers along the external wall.

A roofer has advised that we remove the existing mortar from the wall and screw down slates into the brickwork along the length of the wall and then lay the tiles onto a bed of mortar. However, I don't understand what purpose the slates would serve?

Can someone offer some advice as to how to go about this job and what the correct method of installing the tiles is?

Sponsored Links
That's a poor design - why wasn't the dormer built flush with the wall edge?

Anyway, do it in lead, not tiles

That's a poor design - why wasn't the dormer built flush with the wall edge?

Anyway, do it in lead, not tiles
Planning restraint due to the hipped roof (cannot be seen in the photograph). Hence the dormer was built on top of the inner leaf of the cavity wall.

I think lead wouldn't look too good here, especially that there wouldn't be an overhang over the wall and it wouldn't tie in with the lower section of tiles down to the eaves.

I would screw a strip of ezternal ply on to the brickwork, keeping it 40mm from the outside edge.
You can then nail your tiles to the ply and bed your verge onto the brickwork

Sponsored Links
I would screw a strip of ezternal ply on to the brickwork, keeping it 40mm from the outside edge.
You can then nail your tiles to the ply and bed your verge onto the brickwork
Would there be any benefit in screwing the ply as you say and nailing a cement board undercloak to this?

Yes you can bed under the undercloak on the wall and then bed your tiles on the undercloaks which will reduce the depth of muck on the verge

Yes you can bed under the undercloak on the wall and then bed your tiles on the undercloaks which will reduce the depth of muck on the verge
Are we still using a piece of ply here? Or just wall > mortar > undercloak > mortar > tiles (and fixing to the undercloak?).

ply on wall 40mm in from edge, muck on wall to just above ply, fix undercoak into ply and point up underneath. mail tiles into ply and bed onto the undercloak which should be 50mm beyond the brickwork.

ply on wall 40mm in from edge, muck on wall to just above ply, fix undercoak into ply and point up underneath. mail tiles into ply and bed onto the undercloak which should be 50mm beyond the brickwork.
Should the undercloak be flush with the wall and the tiles coming out 50mm, or should both the tiles and undercloak come out 50mm? I'm going to assume the former so that when you look up all you see is tiles as opposed to cement board.

If youare using an undercloak it should end 5omm past the brickwork and the tiles should end level with that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back