How to blow an Aztec Death Whistle

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to set up a deterrent system and after a lot of thought I think I've figured out how to do this. This situation is fairly unique so I'm afraid suggestions other than the path I'm pursuing probably wouldn't apply. So I'd like to keep the discussion on the right path if at all possible. My goal is to create a continuous stream of air that would blow into an Aztec Death Whistle. Youtube it if you haven't heard one. The audio doesn't nearly do it justice. The 'whistle' takes a good amount of breath to get going. A full set of lungs only gets about 3-4 seconds out of the thing. What I've found to be a good source of air for the whistle is my 18v battery powered Ridgid small shop blower, using the smallest 2Ah battery. It's a small blower about 18" long. The whistle's full volume may be reached using somewhat less air than this blower on full, but that's generally the volume of air I'm talking about. This blower isn't designed to run continuously so another style of air mover would have to be used for the final model.

The requirements are that the system needs to be able to run on both house electric or battery power. Normally it should run on house power, but if the electric gets shut off it will switch to battery. I'm hoping to get some kind of battery setup that'll keep it running for about 2 hours before it runs out. The last requirement is that the whistle should not be heard to vary in tone at all if the house elec is shut off and the device has to switch to battery.

Sounds devious huh?

Any thoughts? (I'm in the US btw)

aztec.jpg

Sponsored Links
You wrote this on
https://www.diychatroom.com/threads/how-to-blow-an-aztec-death-whistle.767216/#post-7112488

and I replied as follows - to which you have not yet commented.

Your "Ridgid small shop blower" has a rated capacity of 110 CFM (Cubic Feet per Minute".) (See 18V Compact Jobsite Blower | RIDGID Tools )
Hence, any "blower" with similar or somewhat greater capacity (and a similarly sized "orifice") should suit your rather esoteric "application".

I suggest that you forget using 18 V (Lithium ?) batteries for this application, since maintaining them on "Float" has some technical problems.

Seek out
a suitable 12 V "Blower - of 110 CFM (or greater), (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Yaegoo-Marine-Line-Bilge-Blower/dp/B087FKHBPK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=JQ1AGO0WHMQA&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.NXKenGWRDwpIQq610C4qVpo0TyNd83LMsQFbiarvG35Aav2t3GEsMinxI9F160i9XkoGv4Oo9hQYUWl59dU-wN3FQuoXCUyGiNavBb_-EKSptZfmw0YwkwhbBalc5oGlAuQAVv8wwG6-K1GMYN7aJJv_8lsXpODyW7Pcw0Z8s_OmmiFpbe9D6faMs4CWwHizDG5qn9eh-bMFz40ORPJgYU2v3sXocDOtRqPAvRil3Ic.NGLgaOVLkRRT1l-4AjekXnX4CA03Q81ywLqWz2tI7SQ&dib_tag=se&keywords=12v+air+blower+fan&qid=1711517043&sprefix=air+blower+fan+12v,aps,343&sr=8-6 )
a 12 V Sealed Lead/Acid Battery, of about 7 Ah, (These are used for Alarm Systems)
and
a "SLA 12 V Battery Charger and Maintainer"
(e. g. https://www.amazon.com/B-Qtech-Automatic-Maintainer-Desulfator-Motorcycle/dp/B0C7VFB64L/ref=sr_1_10?crid=HHVSAU0ML1FW&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.aW8T0ZbA28lIdjRKtHy9bYK4Htxg4c3imfqwkLNlNdYeh7atwoG3BN4AXiux622IBEO3rgOj9jNNv5sBO03L1gzc8F9LzTTPWxHWUBTqfRbzKQGwpIEZi2h3JuPSrv9YujdFMLthDzc31n9lxNnGuG8qw_EW1OHhevvM1U8hssTBvPEFx-j4iZjqejuATy5ihvmzO6L_kvFATLC7csaeK7jZ38VQ30qbPN-KmVHGqT_QO-WSIwTZTEn7Epwv9hKgeQj774WGguKq1JDI2TsFEhWRfFjlIOglRaUtDQvuecA.SHT5CQFEQKPZ-pTgw4Vyr_6md3xLfWjvYtuRLqARm-k&dib_tag=se&keywords=12+volt+2+amp+sla+battery+charger+and+maintainer&qid=1711518083&sprefix=sla+battery+charger+maintainer,aps,294&sr=8-10 )

You can then
maintain the SLA Battery on "Float",
design whatever system to run the Blower from this battery power source, when required,
and
leave the "set-up" permanently connected in that way.
(If the power fails, it will still run, for several hours.
With the 2.5 A Blowe mentioned above
and
a 7 Ah SLA battery,
it should "run" for up to 2 Hours !)

The "Orifice" of the above-mentioned fan will require some "adaption".

You may see Air Volumes quoted in Cubic Metres,
1 Cubic Metre = 35.315 Cubic Feet.

I do wonder
What type of a TROLL are you ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back