How to check F&E tank and vent are not blocked

Got a little bit of an update, the noises I mentioned when the pump goes into its overrun have gotten worse. It definitely seems to be coming from the cylinder, I ended up opening the valve on the cylinder return and the noise did reduce somewhat however I then got a lot of clunking /banging from the cylinder my best guess is that the cylinder coil or pipework is choked up with something and me opening the valve helped force it through.
I then closed the valve back to its old position. That was 2 days ago, today I was running the heating as normal, when the overrun started this banging, clunking sound came back, it may have been coming from the cylinder return valve but I'm not sure.
Basically my questions I'm hoping someone can help with are:
Any idea what would cause this?
Then issue seems at its worse when the pump overrun starts, in this situation the CH zone valve gets shut. It looks to me like there is a manual override to this (see picture). Would it be worthwhile to force this to be always open, that way when the overrun starts it can circulate through the whole system rather than just the cylinder. I had a little push at this lever and it looks like once it gets about half way down it will require a decent bit of force to fully move it to manual

20161220_110113.jpg
20161220_110123.jpg

Other things I have noticed is a crackling sound from 1 radiator again my guess is the valve is choked up and the water is struggling to get through

Again I should clarify that I have no real knowledge of CH systems so I could be talking rubbish with my guesses.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back