How to check the height/level on 4 corners of a building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per title, is there an easy way to measure the height and level of the 4 corners (or other places) at the top, or other heights of a building? I know there are some laser devices but am not sure which one to buy.

Sponsored Links
Do it the old fashioned way, use a water level. Make one up from a piece of garden hose with clear sections at each end.
You only need to establish a datum line, and work off that.

Agree re. Water level, but I actually bought one rather than using a hose- wasn’t brave enough to do that. Worked a treat for setting out my extension and cost peanuts. Alternative is much pricier rotary laser/levels, which is fine if you’re doing it every day.

Measure down the same distance from each corner and place a mark (say 1m) and then check these for level using your choice of instrument.

I don't know why you would want to buy a laser to check just four points. But if you do, then best in mind that the cheaper devices have greater inaccuracy.

But more to the point, does it even matter what levels these are. What are you going to do if they are out, and does it matter by how much? Its too late checking levels after walls are built.

Sponsored Links
I have just remembered the guys building foundations, they had a laser device on a tripod and a very long ruler and they would put the ruler vertically over a surface and at some distance away the laser device would beep, they used it to level the foundations across 20 metres or so. Is this the kind of device I need?

Yes.

Get those same people to mark you a level line or points (a "datum") with their level at the corners and then you and measure up off those marks.

I have just remembered the guys building foundations, they had a laser device on a tripod and a very long ruler and they would put the ruler vertically over a surface and at some distance away the laser device would beep, they used it to level the foundations across 20 metres or so. Is this the kind of device I need?

you need a self levelling laser, the cheaper red ones arent easy to see outside -but you could use it at dusk or on a cloudy day.

I dont know if they are any good but there are quite a few Chinese branded ones on ebay now.

You could go really old school
upload_2019-2-21_13-49-34.jpeg

I went ahead and bought a laser thingy, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Leveling-Highlight-Vertical-Horizontal-Outdoor/dp/B07FTC8CTF
It projects 2 vertical lines at 90 degrees and one horizontal line and it self levels.
It is not easily visible outdoors and it is very sunny today so will wait for a bit later.
Unfortunately the horizontal line is not height adjustable and you need to move the whole device up-down - so it is OK for use on a tripod at about 160cm off the ground (as far as tripods go). But if you want horizontal lines at say 2m or 3m you need to build a raised platform.

But if you want horizontal lines at say 2m or 3m you need to build a raised platform.
FFS. Read the posts above before building your 3m raised platform. o_O

And what is the accuracy and curvature of the line?

As Woody says use laser to project beam lower down brickwork,mark it and use tape measure to check to finished height, or when its dark put your laser level on a long stick and try and keep as still as possible, good luck.

I went ahead and bought a laser thingy, https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Leveling-Highlight-Vertical-Horizontal-Outdoor/dp/B07FTC8CTF
It projects 2 vertical lines at 90 degrees and one horizontal line and it self levels.
It is not easily visible outdoors and it is very sunny today so will wait for a bit later.
Unfortunately the horizontal line is not height adjustable and you need to move the whole device up-down - so it is OK for use on a tripod at about 160cm off the ground (as far as tripods go). But if you want horizontal lines at say 2m or 3m you need to build a raised platform.

A laser level isnt generally used like that.

set your laser at whatever random height you like. Mark the line at various places around your structure.

You have made yourself a datum.

decide the place you measure everything from -typically that will be underside of door cill / nominal FFL / dpc and call it position zero.

measure between your datum and your zero position. You can now check every feature of your extension by measuring up or down to your datum.

Yes I understand. But the top of the wall is 2.7m and I need to climb on ladder to reach the top and measure down to the "datum". It would be much more direct, and fun, if I could direct the beam upwards so it shines at the wall plate directly and at every other level I want. Trying to hold it stable by hand is impossible even holding my breath. Anyway this is my first laser level tool, I hope there will be better models that can be pointed upwards to create horizontal lines at any height. However even this basic, simple device is fantastic, I just checked the tiles in my bathroom, well done to whoever did it 40 years ago, perfectly aligned :)

If it’s anything like my cheap (internal) Stanley cube laser then I can’t see it being very useful for what you’re trying to do (as per all the other posts above) but yeah, they’re quite fun when you first get one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back