How to clean roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the roof on our house is covered in moss and those weird flat round yellow type vegetation etc growing on roof tiles (concrete corrugated tiles)

How do i clean it all off? Do i just steam clean from the top down, or is there a chemical i apply to bring the tiles up clean again?

Have had a search through this forum, couldn't find a definitive answer apart from the copper wire, which i will use after ive cleaned up.

TIA

Sponsored Links
that's the stuff, ok how do i clean it all off...

Sponsored Links
Enjoy it how and why? Not the answer im looking for!! Thanks anyway.

how about a mild / diluted soloution of bleach to kill it, then stiff brush to reomve it

do wear googles and gloves though

festive said:
Enjoy it how and why? Not the answer im looking for!! Thanks anyway.

Looks better than clean tiles, does no harm, waste of effort, etc etc.

Unless the moss rolls off the roof into the gutter, in which cas a stiff brushing is all that's required.

Those little patches of lichen are often hundreds of years old. They are usually seen on gravestones.

I'd leave them if I were you.

joe

joe-90 said:
Those little patches of lichen are often hundreds of years old. They are usually seen on gravestones.

I'd leave them if I were you.

joe

THe roof is only 10 yrs old :LOL:

I was going to remove mine too as I was told if it stays on too long it can eat the tiles!!

Yum Yum ;) Load of small balls.........10 yr house must have concrete tiles let them age/grow things naturally.....stick a few house leeks in the gutters too :LOL:

The best way to remove anything growing on your roof is to run a length of copper wire just below your ridge tiles. When it rains the copper slightly disolves and i mean slightly and copper kills algae, moss etc.

An old roofer told me this and a freind of mine did it on his roof and the moss fell off after a few weeks...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back