How to connect two TVs to a PS3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to be able to switch from one TV to another. At the moment I have an HDMI lead from each TV and plug in the one I want to use in to the PS3. I would like a cheap switcher but have tried some of the "splitters" with no luck. It is easy to get a switcher that allows two HDMI items to go to one screen and it is a pity these do not work in reverse. ;)

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately because of the way HDMI is designed splitting a signal requires a splitter that can do HDCP negotiations with all three devices and then decrypt and reencrypt the signals. This makes proper HDMI splitters expensive (if it doesn't have a power brick it's not a proper HDMI splitter).

The PS3 also supports component video out. I'm not sure how it behaves if you connect both a component cable and a HDMI cable though but component is much easier to split than HDMI.

Unfortunately because of the way HDMI is designed splitting a signal requires a splitter that can do HDCP negotiations with all three devices and then decrypt and reencrypt the signals. This makes proper HDMI splitters expensive (if it doesn't have a power brick it's not a proper HDMI splitter).

The PS3 also supports component video out. I'm not sure how it behaves if you connect both a component cable and a HDMI cable though but component is much easier to split than HDMI.

So it looks like I will be continuing to plug and unplug forever. :cry: One TV has all its connectivity used up so component would not be possible without a further 2 into 1 adapter. :D It seems like a good idea though. The PS3 will prioritise (if I remember correctly). ;)

I would like to be able to switch from one TV to another. At the moment I have an HDMI lead from each TV and plug in the one I want to use in to the PS3. I would like a cheap switcher but have tried some of the "splitters" with no luck. It is easy to get a switcher that allows two HDMI items to go to one screen and it is a pity these do not work in reverse. ;)
You've got your definitions totally screwed up.

Here's a Belkin switch for less than £30. Go buy it. It'll do what you want.

LINK

Sponsored Links
You've got your definitions totally screwed up.

Here's a Belkin switch for less than £30. Go buy it. It'll do what you want.

LINK

Maybe but this looks like it is two sources into a single TV. I want one source into two tvs. :confused: :rolleyes:

You can get them from a few places for around the same price, just make sure you get the 1>2 splitter...

John..

The Belkin one is the wrong way around, its 2>1 he needs 1>2.

John..
Absolutely. :D
Also I did read somewhere that some devices don't work well as there is some sort of copying software that inhibits PS3 putting out to two destinations. :confused:

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I have owned a few hdmi splitters (1>2) i tried the expensive ones first :eek: The first 2 i bought were over £200 each and they were useless. I ended up getting one of the £30 splitters and it worked perfectly..

John...

I would rather buy one from a shop instead of ebay. If you do have problems with it not working you will have no problems sending it back..

John..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back