how to convert my attic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
do i need to lay a new floor over the existing joists in my attic before laying loft boards on them as i want to use it as another bedroom

Sponsored Links
A hell of a lot more!
Ask your local planning office. They'll give advice if you go in with some decent sketches/measurements of what you want to achieve. I don't mean architect standard, either.
You're looking at things like - girders to support the new floor; 2 layers of plasterboard in all bedrooms/attic, skimmed; fire door/s; escape routes...
Then you need an architect! ;)

thanks for your comments jbonding and johnboy 54. i will try the planning office. does anyone know a realistic price for just a basic conversion.. every time i look up loft conversion i get nowhere.

please note 9 which is here

Sponsored Links
pussycat1096 said:
thanks for your comments jbonding and johnboy 54. i will try the planning office. does anyone know a realistic price for just a basic conversion.. every time i look up loft conversion i get nowhere.
The expression "how long is a piece of string" comes to mind.

If you do all the work yourself, you may be able to do a basic one, where no complications exist, for about a thousand. Depends on size and what mods are required to the existing structure, etc.. etc... A more complicated job, done by professionals could cost anything upto, say, £30,000 or er.. £40,000 or er.. anything really. Just can't say.

how much value will it put on your property? ive heard it could put upto 20% on a property done properly, so going off that its probably a good investment if your gonna sell.

jbonding said:
how much value will it put on your property? ive heard it could put upto 20% on a property done properly, so going off that its probably a good investment if your gonna sell.

and a badly bodged one will probably be - 20% :p

pussycat1096 said:
does anyone know a realistic price for just a basic conversion.. every time i look up loft conversion i get nowhere.

That will be because as others said, how long is a piece of string (its actually twice as long from the middle to one end) how would looking at pictures / info tell you how much yours will be? it wont, it depends on what you actaully want (everything) what is involved in doing it and how much labour and materials cost.

also what is a "basic conversion" to some it may just be floor boards, to others it may be ........well yes i want a basic bedroom........and an ensuite.

what ever you do, do get several quotes and only compare like with like

i would like to thankyou all for your comments i'll let you know how i go on. i was thinking of just 2 basic windows and a proper staircase which i know i will need planning permission for now thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back