How to cut in half a thick metal bar.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, not sure if I should post this in the General DIY section. Anyway.
I have a metal bar no more than half a centimeter thick and is a yellowy colour with a speckled look that's accumulated dirt into itself (it's surface) over time. I want to cut it in half. (It's width is 1.3cm). How do I do this?

Alternatively if you can't answer perhaps you could just let me know about metal cutting tools in general. I'm only interested in hand tools that don't need to be plugged in and the smaller the better.

Sponsored Links
Or Junior hacksaw if you want small. Get decent blades for it like Bahco or something.

Yeah just watched a video of a hacksaw, that may do the trick. Forgot to say it's the same density as a U padlock https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=padlock&safe=strict&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAWoVChMIjreU6OG_xwIVJyjbCh1ECw0I&biw=1366&bih=667#imgrc=9rn5gDLOSPB0BM: essentially. Though it has a slightly rougher surface.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Keep em coming.

Also I can't get my elbow, my arm, underneath the altitude of the metal bar - are there any types of hacksaw where the handle is above the altitude of, aka is above, the actual saw part of the hacksaw?

Sponsored Links
Doubt if a hacksaw will cut a padlock shackle. They're hardened.
The only thing that will practically cut that will be an angle grinder, although you so see them cut with bolt cutters on those auction shows. Wear proper eye protection if you use either.

Can we see a picture of your situation please?
If it's a lock shackle you are trying to cut, then forget a hacksaw - unless it's cheapo rubbish.
An angle grinder is what you need, if you can get in.
John :)

Thanks again.

No, no it's still a metal bar I was just saying it appeared to be as dense as those padlocks. It's a metal bar 1.3cm width, <1cm height, 6 inches length. It's the thing that slides to adjust how much the window goes out. I don't really use social media and probably'll had some trouble with bluetoothing to my laptop from my phone, I'll see if I can get a pic of it exactly. Though it looks more like https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...isch&q=copper+metal+bar&imgrc=2LFtfGlEVQ6IhM: than the padlock above.

If I were to use alan keys to unscrew the device surrounding that 6 inch metal as well any advice on those like what the most common alan key size is used generally if there is a common size. Also does anybody the name of the screwdriver that fits into screws which seem to have a star shape?

Your star headed screws will be Torx, more than likely.
The metal you refer to is likely to be brassed steel, and not particularly hard - at least to a good hacksaw blade!

Awesome. Thanks. I'll still try to upload the photos. I think brass is the closest colour to it.

There's one.
For some reason, four times uploaded.
You can see the hexagonal alan key slot there too.

Attachments

• 20150823_195917.jpg
    20150823_195917.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 20150823_195917.jpg
    20150823_195917.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 193
  • 20150823_195917.jpg
    20150823_195917.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 225
  • 20150823_195917.jpg
    20150823_195917.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 204
This one shows the thickness.

Attachments

• 20150823_200033.jpg
    20150823_200033.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 175
It's just so that it opens more to get a bit more air in as it's generally way too hot in my room.
Do you know if that is in fact brassed steel or what metal it is out of interest? Judging from your post count I take it you've done a lot of DIY or possibly work in the field? I'll have to get a hacksaw then. Cheers.

Fair comment, but you'll need to lose the ends of that stay once you have cut it!
The metal will be steel with a plating to prevent rusting.
I'm a mechanical engineer and studied education by qualification, and was a teacher by trade (35 yrs) in the north east of England.
Most practical issues get my interest!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back