how to dispose of expired medicine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any environmental standards on how to dispose of expired medicine safely?
I think that this problem is caused mainly because when the doctor gives a prescription, the pharmacist gives the patient a package which is usually more than what the patient needs. Tablets are sold in 30 or 20 units and after taking the medicine for just few days, the patient feels better, stops taking the medicine and he is left with 10 or 20 unused tablets.
Why can't they sell the medicine in smaller units of 5 or 10 tablets?
The company that sells the medicine wants to make a huge profit by packaging it in 30 tablets package, but why the medical authorities agree to this and don't make them offer smaller packs?
Surely there is a lot of money going down the drain because of this.
There are off course patients who need their medicine on a daily basis, but there are so many cases of illness that can last just for few days and these are the cases that can leave the medicine box full of expired medicine.

Sponsored Links
When the GP gives you a prescription, that is for a course of tablets to be taken over a period of time, there should be nothing left over.

So, what happens when medicine expires? Does it suddenly become inert and inneffective?

In the past I have had pills from chemist & they have taken say 15 from a box of 30.So I think the doctor does prescribe by dosage rather than package size.

Anything left over, should be returned to the chemist.

I know we all put them down the toilet though. ;)

Sponsored Links
any leftover medication can be turned over to the pharmacy who will dispose of it. ( or feed it the cat.. I hate cats.. )
as said.. you should continue to take any medication until it's all gone.. just because you feel better doesn't mean you are..

my cousins step-gran is a little ditsy.. she told him she had found a bottle of pills in a draw, had no idea what they were for or how long they had been in there, but she took a couple anyway just to be sure..
she was also taking a lot of pills in the mornings whilst on holidy with my uncles family..
when asked why so many pills she said "I'm supposed to take 2 of these 3 times a day, but I take them all in the morning with breakfast so I don't forget them.. ".. :eek:

I guess you've never been through fertility treatment, most centres have an unsed drug exchange. The reason being is that the cost of the drugs, often privately bought is astonomical. Most patients rich/poor, know that the true cost, is the massive emotional rollercoaster, and unused drugs are usually willingly returned to be given to other patients free of charge. It's a little bit of altrusim that makes you believe people are still human, and "illness" is a great leveller.

Use by dates on most things are highly conservative to say the least. I ate a yoghurt a week or two ago that I bought in France last August! Nothing wrong with it at all.

Honey has been found in Egyption tombs and, because of its high sugar content where bacteria can't survive, was still perfectly edible.

There's even a use by date on salt and that's a preservative.

lily, as you live in california and what we hear on the news over here about the health reforms ,private inurance etc, do you actually have a programme for reclaiming out of date medicines?

Drugs should NEVER be used past their sell by date, particularly liquids, as many become dangerous when their composites separate over time.

NEVER give it to cats as some pratt earlier has suggested ... Shake the bottle thoroughly and give it to the wife :LOL:

MW

if the cat doesn't die then it's still good.. ;)

while cleaning out nan's house we found all sorts of now probably banned medicines in the cabinet and cupboards..

one of them contained mercury.. :eek:

if the cat doesn't die then it's still good.. ;)

while cleaning out nan's house we found all sorts of now probably banned medicines in the cabinet and cupboards..

one of them contained mercury.. :eek:

Hmmmnnnnn ... Well insured was she? :LOL:

MW

Sponsored Links
Back