How to felt a bay window roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. We are looking to felt our bay window roof after some mug nicked the lead that was on it, and due to the recent rain water is now leaking into the property through the bay window.

We can do basic DIY and I was hoping I could get some advice of how to go about doing this? There is a lead strip that the thieves did no manage to take, between the wall and roof, so can we keep that and use it?

How do we go about laying the felt to get that lovely finish you see on some properties? How do we go over the edge to get a smooth secure leak free finish?

I noticed several other properties have felt yet they dont have guttering. What happens to the water? how does it run off?

We would be much obliged if someone could advise us how to best do this?

I've added a couple of photos.

Thank you

Sam

Sponsored Links
You would need a good torch on felt, which isn't really diy.
Theres an amount of skill getting the drip trims etc looking tidy, plus applying the right amount of heat to melt the bitumen and not burn/scorch the felt.

You will find it easier, screwing a sheet of ply over existing ( remove the mop stick roll first ) and glue down a one piece sheet of epdm, plus its easy to do a tidy job on the edges using their trims.
It will be a dark grey colour so will nearly match the existing lead in colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back