How to Fill in this hole prior to plasterer coming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

What would be the best way of filling in this cooker extraction fan hole so it makes it easier for the plasterer? Its single brick - cavity - single brick.

The cable you see is dead, which is just as well for the person who drilled it originally! I will be removing this as well.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The plasterer might want all adhesive scraped off, or even the plaster hacked off back to the bricks. Has the plasterer seen the kitchen?

A semi-dry mix of sand and cement 3:1 will dub out any significant "holes" etc. Apply it in layers if necessary. You can buy small bags of S&C at any plumbing suppliers.

Is the wall solid or cavity?

Remove the cable and capping top and bottom back to any connection device and/or CU. Dont leave wild bits of cable that could cause mischief later.

Thanks.

I haven't had any plasterers around at all yet and the walls are pretty much like this for the whole room (small kitchen). Is that a problem do you think? I was hoping the rough bits could be 'patched' (my word) over, then skimmed by a plasterer

As you can see yourself, the adhesive is brittle and the chance is that it will come away with any overskimming.

Typically, whats req'd for skimming is a clean and firm background.

Post pics of your kitchen - perhaps this difficulty is only at backsplash etc. areas?

Sponsored Links
Thanks

These are the only photo's I have until I get back from work later.

All the walls are fairly solid except the bit around the extractor hole - this will be covered anyway with cooker splashback. There are some ropey area's but will take some pics later tonight

The old serving hatch - I have covered with plaster board

Regards

Ive upped a few more pics, if anyone could comment upon the general condition etc.

I was hoping that when I get a plasterer in, he could simply plaster over the rough bits, do a bit of tyding up & skim the whole room. Looking at the general condition, does this look ok?

Thanks

Ive upped a few more pics, if anyone could comment upon the general condition etc.

I was hoping that when I get a plasterer in, he could simply plaster over the rough bits, do a bit of tyding up & skim the whole room. Looking at the general condition, does this look ok?

Looks like some wallpaper left on in the last pic. This must all be off before any plastering.

Also serving hatch may need some attention. Mixture of materials. May be ok with some EML fixed across the wood perimeter before skimming. See what the pros say. I've not tried this before and an educated guess!

Pic 3 with the broken edge will need reforming before skim.

Mixture of paint and fresh plaster with some broken areas may require a bonding agent (eg WBA) rather than just pva before plastering.

I'd get whichever pro you select to advise on any prep first. Otherwise may do it wrong.

Generally doesn't look too bad to me.

Thanks

There is some old wallpaper that can come off no problem. The serving hatch is interesting - Ive put some plasterboard within the existing wood frame - assuming this can be plastered/scimmed. Dunno

Guess its time to get some quotes.

sjw64,

I've just looked at some of your old posts and you asked some of these same Q's one year ago.
There have also been a number of posts on pipe issues in your kitchen and ceiling artex over paper - those who advised you were left hanging, and no "what happened next" posts were made by you. Just saying.

Well done. Yes, I started my kitchen project last summer and as I worked on it I found some old gas pipes that were sorted out, as was the advice about the artex. I also posted about chasing some electrics, earth bonding the water supply coming, lose switches, air vent problems, installing an extractor fan and bits & pieces. Now Im at the stage of filling in an old gaping hole where someone commented about the condition of the existing plaster, which has led to this.

I was not aware there was a limit to the number of questions you could ask. Anything else you want to know about me? Just saying

As DIYNewbee says,you need to check with whoever you get to plaster it.

The pics suggest it's not a quick run around patching before a skim, if you want quality.

Remember a skim is only designed for 2-3 mm although can be put on heavier.

Looks like it all needs at least a tight coat of bonding to get it ready to skim.

How and when you do your kitchen is none of my business but allowing you to waste my time is.

You immediately go off page and dont answer what i was essentially asking you - why after being advised are you still asking the same questions, and why do you carelessly just disappear without responding to others who spent time and expertise attempting to help you?

Why should i wish to know anything else about you? I already know how careless and evasive you are. I think thats enough to know about anyone.

How and when you do your kitchen is none of my business but allowing you to waste my time is.

You immediately go off page and dont answer what i was essentially asking you - why after being advised are you still asking the same questions, and why do you carelessly just disappear without responding to others who spent time and expertise attempting to help you?

Why should i wish to know anything else about you? I already know how careless and evasive you are. I think thats enough to know about anyone.

Cheers grumpy! If its okay with you Im going to carelessly disappear if thats ok with you?

Things to do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back