how to fill my archway in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all please excuse me if this might seem as a odvious one but i have a arch way that seperates my living dinning room we want fill the archway in so they are seperate,i was just going to buil a stud/false wall to fill this hole would this be the easiest way or is there a more logical way of doing this thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Stud or masonry, it makes no odds.

It is how you finish it that counts.

You are more likely to have perimeter cracks if you don't take care when finishing the plasterboard, if using the stud method. Try and allow the plasterboard to go beyond the studs and lip over say 4" onto the masonry each side. This lipped bit could be secured with bonding or even cartridge adhesive.

Fill the void with fibreglass insulation if you have any.

Make a note of the uprights for later fixing purposes, i.e. skirting, dado/ frieze rail etc.

If you have a straight wall with no cupboards etc on it the you may want to consider reskimming the complete wall both sides to minimalise any cracking at the joint areas.

thanks for getting back to me fellas i was wondering if it would make my life easier if i was to cut the arch out as the wall is only made from plasterboard and wood in the first place its one of these new builds i aint got a brick wall insight :D if i was to cut the arch out so it would leave me with a rectangle shape,would this be easier to put the stud wall in place hope this makes sense :?:

Sponsored Links
Yes best way is to give yourself straight edges to work with, so I would at least cut the plaster and board back so edges are straight, then see what timber work is behind that, sometimes arches are preformed from mesh or other materials, so look out for that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back