How to finish old beams....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for ideas on how to finish an old oak beam that will be exposed after I've plasterboarded.... It's part of an A-frame from the houses original roof - so around 400 years old.
I had to grind some of the nails that were in it off, so using a planet or sander isn't really an option...
All ideas welcome....

Sponsored Links
I'm looking for ideas on how to finish an old oak beam that will be exposed after I've plasterboarded.... It's part of an A-frame from the houses original roof - so around 400 years old.
I had to grind some of the nails that were in it off, so using a planet or sander isn't really an option...
All ideas welcome....
I remember yonks ago, using a very sharp (long version) adze, on some green oak. You sort of straddled the beam then swung away, scalloping bits off, until you got the desired finish. Very satisfying and looked reasonably authentic.

I remember yonks ago, using a very sharp (long version) adze, on some green oak. You sort of straddled the beam then swung away, scalloping bits off, until you got the desired finish. Very satisfying and looked reasonably authentic.
Many chippies are doing that now on the second fix. o_O

Sponsored Links
Flap disk on an angle grinder can give the look of an adzed effect.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back