How to finish room lined with plywood?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm currently having our loft converted into an extra lounge/guest room. It is currently lined with plywood. Overall the finish is pretty good, with most joints being smooth and a few being a mm or two raised. See photos below:

IMG_0761r.jpg

IMG_0762r.jpg

I'd like to paint the walls in the some light (probably off-white) colour.

My question is what is the best way to do this. It seems the options are:

• * Fill, sand, prime and then paint directly
    * Use lining paper then paint
    * Plaster then paint

I am happy to use a textured paint if necessary to hide some of the underlying imperfections.

What is the recommended approach. Is it possible to plaster directly if some kind of mesh is applied first? Would the first approach (prime then paint) work anyway?

I've never done this before so don't know how to proceed. If the answer is to plaster, I'd pay for a professional to do this, but for reasons of cost this would be my least favoured approach. I would certainly be reluctant to reline the roof with plasterboard because the basic finish already seems pretty good.

Thanks for any advice!!

Paul

Sponsored Links
I would say the the only way to get a perfect finish would be to:

1. P.V.A the ceiling and walls.
2. Fill and tape all the joints with 2 coats of fast set and 1 coat of 'finish' (this needs to be done perfectly ie professionally).
3. Sand the whole lot
4. P.V.A ceiling and walls again
5. Apply 1 thinned coat of emusion, then 2 full coats.

That said, this could be quite expensive and also very time consuming but would give a perfect finish (as long as the taping was done right).

The quickest/easiest solution is to just emulsion the walls as they are although it will not look great tbh.

Regards
Stomach

Excuse my ignorance (I told you I was new to this) - but what is PVA in this context? I know about PVA glue, but I assume you're not suggesting I apply glue over the whole ceiling!

Yes P.V.A is an adhesive, you will get the right stuff in D.I.Y stores then you need to thin it to the recommended level before applying.

Sponsored Links
not sure about pva :confused: I`d suggest a acrylic primer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back