Painting Lining Paper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having stripped the old wall paper off the walls I was left with lots of bare patches of plaster where the paint also came off with the wallpaper/scraper. I've made good the walls by filling and/or sanding these areas and I now want to paint the walls. My gut feeling is that in order to get a good finish I will need to use lining paper which I have now bought.

I bought 1000 grade from Wickes which does not seem to be finished at all on either side.

1. Does it matter which side is stuck to the walls as long as I'm consistent?
2. Do I need to seal the bare patches of plaster with anything before lining the walls?
3. Would I be better off buying lining paper that claims to be paintable i.e. has a finished side. I only realised that this existed after buying the Wickes stuff. There was also some debate in Wickes as to whether their lining paper could be painted!!
4. If it is OK to paint, would I need to prime it first. If so, what would make a good primer.
5. Any tips for hanging lining paper.

Sorry for all the questions but I've never used lining paper before although I am quite adept at hanging what I would call normal wallpaper.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
I'd always get 1400 grade unless the walls are pretty flat. Some people will tell you that 1200 and 1400 grade lining paper gives a slightly poorer finish - personally I don't think it does.
Anyway:
1. Never thought about it, but I always paste the inside of the roll.
2. Size the walls with paste.
3. I wouldn't bother.
4. Yes. No.
5. I think it's easier lining horizontally rather than vertically - it makes no odds when it's painted.
It's dead easy to get an absolutely flawless joint by leaving a small gap (1mm) between where the paper meets and filling the joint with polyfilla using a plastering float. The amount of filler used is so small that it's dry in 5 mins. It takes little time to do a whole room and just a quick wipe over with some fine sandpaper to clean it up. You can do an average sized room in around 30 mins. (Filling only - not papering too!)
A couple of coats of matt emulsion and you're away.

1...No...but dont mix the two sides up...somtimes there can be a slight difference in the finish.

2..Just give them a quick once over with the wallpaper paste before you start..

3 No...all lining paper is paintable...there was one on the market once which was meant for decorative effects...one side being slightly rougher...its rubbish dont bother...

4..Thin the first coat out by 25%...the surface of lining is absorbent and it will lock the paint onto it..plus it will allow it to go on easier.

5..Hang lining paper the same as ordinary paper...one thing though...1000 grade does have a slightly bumpy finish...id go for 800 grade myself..its a bit thinner but youl hardly notice it.

You can hang it horizontally if you like..its easier and you get less wastage normally....dont leave a gat in the joints...thats only if you are hanging paper over it...

Make sure you keep the surface clean of paste...if you paint over paste it will 'foam' up...

in the corners...take the first piece of paper round about 2mm...cut the next piece tight to the corner..viola...a perfect corner.

Sponsored Links
Jon, you mentioned 1400 grade lining what where do you get yours?...the reason i ask is ive found Johnstones lining paper pretty smooth..the original anaglypta one has really gone down hill IMO

On the subject of Johnstones/leyland...does anyone esle think their Mangers range of sundries is a load of DIY sh*ite?

Zampa - I agree with you about the sundries range, but I cant agree about thinning the emusion for the 1st coat, unless the paint was way too thick.
When I am after good coverage, I don't thin.

You can get 1400 from any decorators shop, normal DIY stores dont stock it, they do stock up 1200.

I love 1400, if your not used to it, it may appear heavy after the other grades, but once you get used to the 1400 its a piece of cake, I like the texture.

I admit I do slightly water down the first coat, specially on lining paper, but that is only with dulux paints, I only use dulux anyway unless client wants me to use something else. :rolleyes: :D

Growler said:
Zampa - I agree with you about the sundries range, but I cant agree about thinning the emusion for the 1st coat, unless the paint was way too thick.
When I am after good coverage, I don't thin.

Yeh I think it depends on the emul...but most of the trade ones especially Dulux do tend to pull a little on lining paper and ive found that they texture up a bit too...ive never tried to get away with one coat on lining..certainly wouldnt give it three though, when I said about thinning I only meant the first of two coats..

Is it me or has crown trade gone all 'gluey'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back