How to finish this fireplace ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please find the attached images -

Have to finish this before flooring starts in a week's time. I am a DIY'er and need suggestions to finish this please ? Note that the place is bit uneven (higher height on the inner side close to the wall.

Thanks

20221026_111915.jpg
20221026_111858.jpg
20221026_111819.jpg
20221026_111806.jpg
20221026_111806.jpg
20221026_111754.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are 2 fireplaces there, what do you mean by finish and what are you planning to do with them?
If you've blocked them off, what are you doing about ventilation for the flue?

Sponsored Links
There are 2 fireplaces there, what do you mean by finish and what are you planning to do with them?
If you've blocked them off, what are you doing about ventilation for the flue?
The pictures are from single fire place. I would like to flat them out using concrete mixture or something like that and use the space as small storage. I am not sure how to do it though.... Suggestions and advise please ?

So just the floor then? Sweep the loose stuff off then either cement screed or self levelling compound (best bet prob SLC, looks fairly shallow).
IMO you'd have been better off blanking it completely rather than leaving that tiny off-centre gap, not going to store much in there.

As above, you must provide a vent for the flue; all redundant flues must have through ventilation from fireplace to stack terminal.

If this chimney breast & fireplace are on the ground floor there's the risk of damp coming through the infill material below the hearth and fireplace. Use the search facility (top right) to investigate fender walls and hearths etc.

Would be much better if you knocked out the section on the left to even up the hole, if possible..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back