how to fit a suffolk latch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We have just had 3 lovely match and brace doors made for our cottage and have bought some suffolk latches from here

http://www.handforged.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=33638

Does anyone have any step by step fitting instructions please on how to fit these "from the anvil" suffolk latches. Ours came with no instructions and we don't want to ruin our newly made cottage doors by drilling holes in the wrong place and not knowing how to line things up properly, also is the big c shaped thing a staple pin - where does this go?
We could do with a diagram of the front and back of door with it all labelled.
Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Sponsored Links
What happened when you asked the supplier for instructions :confused:

I see you've posted the same request on the manufacturer's website; it would be nice to think they supply you with proper instructions.

I'll have a go. (This assumes your doors are already hung.)

1. Determine height at which you want the latches fitted; compare with any other existing doors in the house with latches.

2. Measure latch to determine distance from edge of door to make hole for lever to pass through; drill (say) a couple of small holes in vertical alignment and join to make a suitable slot.

3. Offer up the latch to the door, pass lever through hole and mark for screw positions; use an awl to make pilot holes and screw latch onto door.

4. Position bar so that it is level and mark position for keep on the door frame.

5. It looks to me as though the keep is designed to be hammered into the frame. Drill a suitable pilot hole, then hammer in the keep. Too small a hole, and you risk splitting the frame; too large, and the keep will fall out. Allow clearance for the bar to rest inside the keep; you could use a spacer to make sure all the keeps you're fixing are uniform.

6. The function of the staple is to restrict the movement of the bar. Determine a suitable distance from the edge of the door, mark and drill two holes for the spikes to pass through the door. It looks to me as if the spikes are designed to be clenched (bent over). You will need to position a heavy weight behind the staple to support it and allow you to hammer the spikes over. Embed the ends of the spikes in the back of the door so they don't snag clothing.

When drilling holes through the door, make sure you have some scrap behind the exit holes to avoid spelching (splintering).

If you're not confident about doing this, why not get the person who made the doors to fit the latches for you?

Sponsored Links
An addendum to my earlier post:

The height at which you fix the latch is determined by the position of the relevant ledge (horizontal member) on the back of the door; the pivot of the lever is centered on the ledge, so that the catch is fixed to the thickest (and strongest) part of the door.

thanks for all this advice, which I'll pass on to my chippy Dad, (maker of doors!) he had a pretty good idea but as he's 78 hasn't placed a new latch like one of these for a long time! He's still getting over the rosehead nails I bought for him to use! he's not used these for a while either,..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back