How to fix a reclaimed roof Slate ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,I got a reclaimed slate, it has 2 holes from previous nails.
It's just the last slate on the edge of the roof near the gutter that I need to replace.
From reading up it seems I can use gripfill.
Is there any particular way of doing that or shall I just put a couple of blobs of it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Bodging aside…we were asked to temp fix some verge slates that had come loose. Just to tide the customer over until we eventually demolished the building. We used ex-foam. The slates were still there clinging to the gable masonry when all about them had succumb to the digger bucket. They remained stuck together as they entered the grab wagon.:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Hi,I got a reclaimed slate, it has 2 holes from previous nails.
It's just the last slate on the edge of the roof near the gutter that I need to replace.
From reading up it seems I can use gripfill.
Is there any particular way of doing that or shall I just put a couple of blobs of it?

Thanks
Hi I’ve stripped my slate roof and would like to re use the slates but the holes are shot. Where should I be re holing them. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

Make a new hole next to the holes you have .. keep clear of the centre.
It's tricky to say without seeing .
You could always use slate hooks then you don't need holes

Rather nail if possible. New holes would need to be 50-60mm in from the edge of the slate. Going on 30deg pitch. Do you think the side lap will be reduced to much.??? Would I be better re gauging the battens and hole above old holes using bonding gutter up to neighbours house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back