HOW TO FIX ANGLE BEADS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm a general builder, i do a fair bit of plastering but one thing always bugs me!
I'm re-skimming my bedroom after removing paper. The question is what is the best way to fix new thin coat beads over the top. I fear masonary nails may damage the bead. Have used gripfil in the past but not with great results.
any suggestions from you pros?

Sponsored Links
if its plasterboard i use staples if its a reskim on a room thats already been plastered and the walls are solid i would use a full bed of skim

should i let the plaster set before skimming the wall? i assume they will just move around otherwise.
many thanks for the help btw

if your worried about them moving you can do as some spreads do and knock a bit of stiff gear up first to do the beads with

Sponsored Links
The way i would tackle it is to tack the beads on with galvanised nails, but you need to get the thin nails with the small heads. You have to to do a few test taps with hammer and nails first to find out where the bed joints are in the brickwork and then tap through the bead straight in to the bed joints that of the brick work.

If your walls and angles are all over the place, as they can be at times, your better off using micro mesh beads, they are a bit dearer than the ones with big holes dril;led in the sides, but they are more flexible and don't kink as easily as the other type.

No shouldn't do as they are galvanised like the beads and plasterboard nails. The only time they may show through is if the area where the staples are is damp or the wall has a damp problem but I can say that I have never seen rusty staples.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back