How to fix hedgetrimmer having cut through cable...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I cut through the cable on my Dad's hedgetrimmer. Went to B&Q and bought a connector (10 amp, 2 pin orange thing) to fix the problem. It didn't work. As it was an old trimmer I've left it to my dad to fix and have bought a new one....

Well having bought the new one, being the idiot I am, I've done it again. Again, bought a connector, followed the instructions to the letter and again, it hasn't solved the problem.

When I was using the trimmer I had it simply plugged into a socket in the hall. Cutting through the cable hasn't tripped any electrics in the house.

My next thoughts are that I need to replace a fuse in the plug or thaqt I've actually blown the internal motor in the trimmer.

Any ideas what I should do next?

Sponsored Links
..Any ideas what I should do next?

bahco_p51.jpg

Test the socket in the hallway by plugging lamp into it, if it works ok then your prob must be in the new connector block that you have wired. I am guessing that since you have wired two of them and neither of them work your problem is that you are not wiring them correctly. I assume you are changing the fuse in the plug as well as adding the connector, if not do this too. If you have then perhaps post a picture of your connector showing the connections.

Martin

Johnny - lol and yes, it had crossed my mind!

Martin, I'll follow what you said and if it doesn't work I'll post a picture tomorrow.

Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
And please check if the sockets that YOU will be using are protected by an RCD.

If not, go to B&Q and buy a plug in one. You are an accident waiting to happen given the story you have told us. It would be a good idea if you kept a plug-in RCD in you pocket and used it whenever you plug anything into mains voltage.

Might be worth getting one of these too;

0000003611302_001c_v001_zp

You know, just in case you do it a third time... :eek:

lol

To be on the safe side, you should buy 5 RCD adaptors, plug them into each other then the appliance into the outermost one. This way one is sure to trip...

To be on the safe side, you should buy 5 RCD adaptors, plug them into each other then the appliance into the outermost one. This way one is sure to trip...

And now we know how you got your name! :LOL: :LOL:

And now we know how you got your name! :LOL: :LOL:

no, he works as a security guard at a park.. hence he "secures park" at night by locking the gates..

since the hedge trimmer is supplies by 2 core cable is it fairly safe to assume that it's DI?

cutting through a cable with no earth would it trip an RCD since it's a L-N short ( ie fault current ) and not a L-E or N-E short ( unless you happen to be pruning barefoot after a downpour and have your fingers on the moving metal blades...? )

stands a good chance you'll need a new fuse in the plug.. my mom did all 3 times she cut through the lead..

I eventually cut all but 300mm off the end of the trimmers and fitted an orange plug, and then wired the corresponding other half with 1.5mm yellow arctic flex ( stupid idiots put black flex on it to start with.. :rolleyes: ) and made sure to connect the earth at the plug end so the RCD would trip..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back