how to fix small crack around window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bedroom window has a small crack around the bottom where the UPVC meets the plaster windowsill.

It is letting in a slight draught. There is also some mould coming.

How can I fix this? I am a total DIY newbie. Do I just put down some silicone sealant along the crack? Or does the plaster have to be redone?

Sponsored Links
Scrape out the loose stuff and run a bead of sealant along you would do better to use an Acrylic paintable sealant rather than silicone as when redecorating you will have trouble with painting the silicone, it's like trying to paint a non stick pan!

If you are new to it use a good quality masking tape smooth with a wet finger (use water with the tiniest drip of washing up liquid in it ) then remove the tape and if you feel brave do a final very light smooth with a wet finger cleaning off any sealant on your finger and dipping it in the water before each stroke.
When it looks 90% right leave it at that 'cos you will only mess it up if you keep fiddling with it! ;)

Thanks.

I have been doing a lot of silicone sealant around shower units etc although I am still quite messy and poor at it. I have the removal/apply tool but I dont like to use it, I found it easier to use stanley knife to remove and wet finger to apply.

Will get some acrylic sealant tonight and have a bash at it unless there are other comments.

I have this problem in other areas too, for example in tiled bathroom. Can I use the acrylic sealant for where UPVC joins tile or would silicone be better for that?

Sponsored Links
awesome thanks.

yes i learnt after the first calamity to have various tissue and newspaper available to wipe and dispose of things. Will look into the wipes although I found kitchen roll was enough to wipe off the sealant last time.

Is it worth using the tool to apply?

Lots of people rave about the tools, I have tried them and always finish up with the mark one finger!

I guess they work OK if it is a straight run with no tile joints etc, like the demos on TV where they have two bits of melamine joined at 90deg, but get to a corner or behind a tap and they just don't work.
They can also leave an invisible film on the wall above that only shows up as it gets wiped or dirty.

In fact I had 10 metres of worktop to seal on Friday 6 internal corners, 5 external corners and of course the sink mixers to get behind. I thought I will try some tools that had good reviews on Screwfix, chucked it back in the tool box after half a metre!

Good masking tape like Frogtape is worth buying too.

Keep it simple!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back