How to fix to concrete floor: laminate/carpet joining strip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How to fix to concrete floor: laminate/carper joining strip

Have just put down a laminate floor.

Am now wanting to put in a strip which joins the laminate area to the carpet area (the join is under a door).

Looking at the gripper rods and the old carpet/carpet joining strip, they appear to be nailed to the floor.

Indeed the new strip has holes which makes it look like it wants to be nailed down.

All the nails I tried so far made very little penetration and bent quite quickly.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Hi Bill,
It sounds like your trying to use a carpet cover strip, which takes no. 6/8 size screws, which are not really long enough to reach down and fix to the floor.
If there is a flooring supplier near you then a good solution is Morley Metals 'Z Frame'. This is a metal trim which has a profile like a capital I...or a miniature girder. You pull the carpet back and fix the base to the floor with the top 'cap' just reaching over onto the edge of your laminate (this covers the expansion gap below. Then fix your carpet under the cap at the opposite side. The Z frame has a ridge in the upright section and you can then gently tap the frame cap down with a covered hammer, as you do this the upright section buckles and the cap flattens down and angles itself to the two surfaces...the laminate and carpet, to give you a nice, flush finish (as the upright section buckles it changes from a capital I...to a capital Z...hence the name 'Z frame).
Cheers.
Jim.

I have used 'No More Nails' for fixing threshold strips quite succesfully.

PVA the concrete floor first though, let this thoroughly dry and then glue the strip down. Let this cure before fitting the carpet.

Sponsored Links
The problem was not in the choice of strip, but in fixing it to the floor.

One possibility was to drill, plug and screw. That would still have the problem of accurately positioning holes which are being made by a 7mm (or so) masonry bit.

In the end I drilled 7 or 8 mm holes with masonry bits until I had some part of the hole in the concrete under each of the 3 holes in the strip I wanted to fix through.

Then I packed each hole with epoxy putty (Loctite Repair Express Power Putty). Then I left it for 5 hours or so to set, then drilled through the strip with a 2mm odd bit. This meant I could put the pilot holes exactly where I wanted them :)

Then fixed the strip down with No.6 (or so) 5/16" (or so) screws.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back