Carpeting on concrete floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to put down carpet and underlay in a conservatory which has a concrete floor.

How is this fixed to the concrete without it moving (those wooden grippers strips? or is there something else)....I have seen on wooden floors grippers are nailed down, how to fix to concrete?

Sponsored Links
they usualy nail them, the nails are not that long. suppose you may be able to "stick them down" but usually its nailed (glue may go soft in heat of conservatory)

One of the rooms in my house has a concrete floor - I think it was previously a kitchen and the carpet is held by the normal gripper strip - its nailed to the concrete - the nail depth is around 1"

Sponsored Links
you can nail gripper to concrete floors using concrete oboe nails if the screed is good enough. you should also check that there are no central heating pipes close to the surface, they are normally a couple of inches deep and this 'should' be fine.
if this is not possible you can stick the gripper to the floor using either a hot glue gun or gripfill/no more nails. to do this you should cut the gripper into short lenths 30cm long to allow for any undulation in the floor or walls.
the adhesive whichever you chose will stick better if you prime the concrete where the gripper is to go, unibond or stickatack spray glue.
this also applies if you were trying to fix gripper to ceramic tiles.

You can nail or glue the tack strips down to concrete.

Alternatively, you can also do a "double glue down". That's where you glue the underpad down to the concrete, and then glue the carpet down to the underpad.

It's also common to glue carpeting directly down to concrete without any underpad under it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back