How to flush residential copper lines?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I just moved into a house that was vacant for almost a year. The water lines have lots of mold and black goo inside. If I shut the main off and drain the water from the pipes, clsoe the taps, turn the main on to preasurize the pipes and then turn the taps back on the splurting dislodges a couple seconds of black goo. I did this several times and the goo is starting to go away and the smell is also starting to go away. Is there a better way to clean the pipes? No galv in the house only copper.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would change the pipes or consider chemical cleaning.

First check should be the source, is the mains supply clear or if tank fed clear too :?:

Main water line looks fine. I installed a Whole home water filter just after water meter and the water comming in seems to be clean. This is how I discovered the sludge comming from the lines, when I turned the water back on from the filter install.

What kind of chemical is safe to clean the pipes and still remove the crud?

Sponsored Links
Are you actually in Canada? If so we do not know what your regualtions permit.

If you are in Canada please can you give a polar bear a cuddle from me, cos I love them!

Yours ever

Grimly

Yes in canada, The polar bears are all at my cottage(its an igloo).
Any ideas on where I could start looking? I have heard chlorine or hydrogen peroxide.

My cousin lives near the grizzly bears, in Kelowna. Apparently someone gets eaten each year or so :eek:

As I said we do not know what is allowed by your local code, so I can only suggest googling for info local to you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back