How to fully clear a drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. When the title of this posting is read, it may seem as if the solution ought to be fairly simple, but it does not seem to be simple to me. Our grid-gulley outside the kitchen has started "throwing back" water when the bath is emptied. Over the years, this has happened several times, and on the earlier occasions, I paid Dynorod to clear it with a rod and plunger down the gulley. However, at fairly long intervals, it would block again, and I became very reluctant to keep spending money on a clearing service (it's about two hundred pounds sterling to have it done — I live in the UK.) About three years ago, I bought my own rod and rubber disc, and have managed (using all the strength I am capable of — I am a reasonably fit ninety-year-old) to clear it a few times in the last three years.

The thing is, twelve months ago, I bought a sink filter, which is in place for 99% of the time, so there are no (or only very small) bits going down into the gulley. Yet, it is only about four months since it was last cleared, and I cannot understand why or where this outside drain (under the block paving) may be blocked.

Today, I plunged and plunged this gulley, until I felt ready to collapse, but still, the full-gulley level of water did not drop suddenly (as it does, if there has been a successful clearance). It had to be left until another attempt can be made. However, as I was putting back the grid on the gulley, I did notice that the water level was dropping noticeably (though not dramatically), so I can only assume that it (the drain from the gulley) is only partly blocked, now. It certainly would not take a bathfull of water without backing up, but it does take a washing-up bowl of water, so it is not as urgent, now, as it was. Inevitably, it will block again and even now, it will not take the bath-water, as that would be too much all at once.

My assumption is that, at the start of the main drain from the gulley (where there seems to be a kind of S-trap), a "collar" of grease has built up, and that over time, it picks up more grease (which, largely, I avoid sending down from the sink) and eventually becomes too narrow to take a bath-full of water, such is the volume and force of this.

Can anyone suggest a way to clear out this drain, so that, with good management at the sink, it will not block up again? Chemical solvents cannot be applied to the place where the blockage must be — they can only be put into the gulley. Has anyone out there any helpful comments about what to do?

With thanks in advance,
Lucky Luke

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I should be careful to read their quotation, first. That ought to state the method, eh?
L.L.

There might be a problem like a broken pipe, roots etc.
There are firms that will come out, clear the drain, and/or stick a camera down and do a cctv survey.

They key would be getting someone local who is reliable and trustworthy.

All drainage engineers carry a drain camera but this is normally an additiona charge..

Also, dynamite would clear the drain but getting hold of it is quite hard nowadays! :LOL: :LOL:

Andy

Try a cup of Washing Soda Crystals down the sink drain or into the gulley last thing at night, regularly, or pour it, dissolved in a bucket of hot water, into the gulley.

This is NOT caustic soda, which is dangerous.

Does anyone put cooking fat down the drain?

Stop that. Pour it into a tin can and bin it, or wipe it out with kitchen roll and bin it.

You can also use it to make fat balls for the birds, or use the greasy paper as firelighters for a woodburner or barbecue. Foxes will eat it if left outdoors.

Try a cup of Washing Soda Crystals down the sink drain or into the gulley last thing at night, regularly, or pour it, dissolved in a bucket of hot water, into the gulley.

This is NOT caustic soda, which is dangerous.

Does anyone put cooking fat down the drain?

Stop that. Pour it into a tin can and bin it, or wipe it out with kitchen roll and bin it.

You can also use it to make fat balls for the birds, or use the greasy paper as firelighters for a woodburner or barbecue. Foxes will eat it if left outdoors.
No, JohnD, any fat or oil goes into the bin onto a newspaper, to soak it up. I regularly pour a degreaser down the sink. Thanks for your comments.
L.L.

Can soil etc wash into gully or does it have raised edges?
Foxhole: The edges of the gulley are slightly raised, and, no doubt, bits of leaf will occasionally find their way into the bottom of the gulley. However, I keep a keen eye on debris, and brush it away promptly. An arrangement has been made to have it jetted this afternoon. I hope they turn up!
L.L.

How have they priced the job, per half an hour or a fixed cost?

Andy
It's a fixed cost job. However, it's a chunk of money. There were cheaper offered on line, but it was all voicemail, whereas I could talk with this firm, and they promised a same-day job. (I'll find out in the next couple of hours, whether they keep their promise).
L.L.

Let us know what they do, what they find and the cost.

Andy
They did not do a survey (£260.00-odd extra, for that). However, the man said he could get about 4 metres of pipe, with the jetting nozzle, down the drain (but no further, as he said it met a junction with the neighbour's drain). Hmm! The water backed up considerably, and then it all collapsed, and it took a full bath of water with no backing up. So, in practical terms I am satisfied, because that ring of fat probably was the cause of it blocking at regular intervals. However, all the assurances about completely clearing all of a drain is just talk. They obviously cannot always do what they say they will do. In my opinion, jetting is much better than plunging.
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back