How to fully clear a drain

Sponsored Links
So how much did they charge you?

Andy
The cost, including VAT, was £174.00. Mind you, though I feel that this was a rip-off, they did promise same-day service, whereas no one else seemed to do. The firm was an "umbrella" emergency firm (Able Group) that answers all emergency needs (plumbing, drains etc.) Apart from one other firm, all the others were voicemail, "leave a message", which did not suit me at all. The one that did reply, when I phoned, said he could not come for another three days, he was so busy (at his price — £59.99, I don't wonder). So really, I don't begrudge the price. It's flowing sweetly now, and I am hoping that it will not keep on blocking, as it did despite being plunged, because deep in the drain (evidently, in view of the length of pipe that had been fed in), there was a build-up of muck that plunging might well break through, but which would likely leave a ring of debris uncleared, thus reducing the diameter, and being prone to collect debris (and block up) again. Plunging is not anywhere near as effective or as thorough, as jetting.
I'm very grateful to you Andy, for replying in the first place. I should not have known about jetting if you had not.
L.L.

I wonder if the drain run has sunk so there is a dip that collects sediment and clogs.

I wonder if the drain run has sunk so there is a dip that collects sediment and clogs.
John, that did not occur to me, even as a possibility. However, like you, I can only wonder about it. And the need to know is not so desperate, now, that I need spend money trying to find out. The drain will probably serve as it is, for the time I have l left.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all the great info. just what I needed. I have a minor, but persistent, problem with my sink. I'll get back and post if it persists.

We never pore any grease down the drain, the best way is to warm it up, so it is runny, then pour it onto something absorbent, like newspaper. When washing the last bit of grease of plates and pans, run hot water over them to help prevent the grease settling in the drains.

The cost, including VAT, was £174.00. Mind you, though I feel that this was a rip-off, they did promise same-day service, whereas no one else seemed to do. The firm was an "umbrella" emergency firm (Able Group) that answers all emergency needs (plumbing, drains etc.)

I'm glad you got it sorted, I have worked for Able Group for many years, 99% of the contractors are subbies. The £174.00 is a standard price unless you call out a sole trader which would of being a bit cheaper.

Andy

I'm glad you got it sorted, I have worked for Able Group for many years, 99% of the contractors are subbies. The £174.00 is a standard price unless you call out a sole trader which would of being a bit cheaper.

Andy
Yes, it would have been cheaper to have a sole trader do the job, but hey! — with blocked drains, and bad leaks of the loo, one cannot afford to wait. So, I took the inflated price on the chin. It's the price of a more or less instant solution to the problem. Everything has a price, doesn't it.
L.L.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back