How to get pilot light back??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I feel a bit daft, but I turned off the pilot light on my Ideal conventional boiler [not a combi] in April - and now I can't get the pilot light to ignite?

What am I doing wrong?- i hold down the gas button and press the ignition button - nothing.

Please bear with me I only moved here late spring [when the heating was working fine]....and not used to this system. Thanks....

Sponsored Links
I would wonder why you turned off the pilot light?

Presumably the gas supply is still connected and has not been interrupted?

You may need to hold down the button for a few minutes.

Is the igniter sparking?

Tony

Hi - I turned off the pilot light after someone warned me that the gas it uses would give me a bill when I don't need the heating during the summer, nor hot water. And I am on a very low income.
I know for a fact I've saved nearly £20 - not much to some but 20 quid to go towards something else.....
Thanks for your advice - will have another go keeping the button depressed for longer......

Hope u get it lit as £20 wont go far if u gota get somebody out. Which model of boiler is it. Wall hung or floor standing. theres a good chance the sparker may not work so u might have to light it manually.

Sponsored Links
It is a wall hung model - and I hope I won't have to call a plumber out :(

The pilot light wasn't on when I moved in as the place had been empty for a while and my son must have turned it on while I was unpacking - but he's away at the moment.....

can u see if the sparkers working through the pilot sight glass window. Still dont know what model it is.

Can't see anything when I try to spark the ignition - the boiler just has Ideal W printed on it [no paperwork with it needless to say].

The gas button has an arrow on it to show it needs to turn to the right - but I cant get it to light - and I feel stupid that i turned the thing off in the first place!

Done it! Thanks for your help guys.
I don't think I'll bother to turn it off next summer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back