how to get rid of my builder

So the surveyor acted as a project superviser. There's so many holes in this I barely know where to start. Who did the design and specification? Who employed the builders - you directly or the surveyor? What was the agreement on stage payments? Did the surveyor issue certificates for payments? All these things should have been set out in some form of simple contract document. It is also very unprofessional for a surveyor to be involved in this sort of thing without written terms and conditions. Write that letter to CIOB anyway. If somebody is using their credentials unauthorised they should take it very seriously. You also need a professional report.

Sponsored Links
So the surveyor acted as a project superviser. There's so many holes in this I barely know where to start. Who did the design and specification? Who employed the builders - you directly or the surveyor? What was the agreement on stage payments? Did the surveyor issue certificates for payments? All these things should have been set out in some form of simple contract document. It is also very unprofessional for a surveyor to be involved in this sort of thing without written terms and conditions. Write that letter to CIOB anyway. If somebody is using their credentials unauthorised they should take it very seriously. You also need a professional report.

To start with he found our name on the council building application website so wrote to us offering his services (headed paper).
He cameto see us and we told him exactly what we wanted, well spoke guy and very nice.
Then he gave us a first estimate we told him it was too high so he put it down. We did query about items he did not put on the estimate and he kept on saying "do not worry". So there a list of work he had to do ( I can pm or email you the details) with a price alongside.
He had 2 guys working for him and he told us he had all the staff to do the work. We had some problems because w ehad the manhole in teh extension and Thames water told us we could get rid of it. At first he thought he would have had to move the manhole outside . So the fact he would have to get rid of it would have been easier.
He already charged us a lot to deal with the drainage but he added loads of money bevause of the digging involved but the digging was the same , and he did was to connect the house drains to the main drain.
after that when the guy started the mains walss it lasted for weeks sometimes the guys doing one row in one day.
And day it carried on and on, starting one job then another one not finishing it. we agreed to pay in installments with the last payment in August.
We payed directly into in his bank account.
In August he wanted to do the felt on the roof, he brought the 2 guys only one roll o underlay and nothing else so only 3 quarters were done.
Then he begged us for the lats payment because he said he did not have money. We payed him but he did not finish the roof. Then 2 new guys came even worse, they did some electri work, plumbing, a bit of paint and the wall in the shower room (we wanted a brick wall and he said he quoted for non brick wall) so we gave him bricks but he still wanted an extra £450 for the wall. He then said he was not going to so the shower anymore. Between September and December the guys were just coming a few days per month.Then after 5 weeks when we did not hear from him we called him and that;s when he sent us a bill for over £7000 for extras. Nothing was ever agreed in writing or verbally or discussed prior to the work. He thinks he is in the right and all work has been done correctly and if it took so long it's because we gave him no money,

Is that parcel tape and tin foil?

Yes!! because they did not close the bottom , they put a plasterboard box around the main drain pipe which comes from the upstairs bathroom toilet, mice were coming in the house and as a woman i hate them, also there is a leak coming from thta pipe, and i fyou look carefully you can see a water pipe near it and it's leaking as well.

Who wired that plug?!

They did, it's the wire coming from the new boiler
Is there a lintel above that window?

I think so, but they put the window too high, and it's like a banana shape

Sponsored Links
You really need to get somebody in to advise you on site. The work looks pretty poor to me and the way they carried it out it sounds like they are just doing it in their spare time. All electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms should either be self certificated by a competent person or cleared through building control. That window is incorrect and needs to be done properly. At the moment that is devaluing your house so it needs sorting out.

You really need to get somebody in to advise you on site. The work looks pretty poor to me and the way they carried it out it sounds like they are just doing it in their spare time. All electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms should either be self certificated by a competent person or cleared through building control. That window is incorrect and needs to be done properly. At the moment that is devaluing your house so it needs sorting out.

We need to give a certificate to building control so they clear it out.

What is wrong with the window? how can you tell it is incorrect.

When we tell him he has done some dodgy work all he says is that he will fix all his mistakes when we pay him.

You may want to do some research into the process of 'Adjudication'. This is not quite like taking him to court, but will get the facts assessed by an independent adjudicator who will be able to mediate the situation. They should be able to see and assess the workmanship and be able to value the work that has been completed so that you would only have to pay the builder for the work he is due... you may even find the builder is ordered to return money to you...

Then you can have everything cleared and get the various issues resolved.

The trouble as far as I can see though is that Adjudication requires a Contract... and it doesn't seem very clear from what you've written so far exactly what form this took.

The good thing is that the Adjudication process should not take more than one month to be resolved, so is all round much more cost and time effective than court and the final decision is still legally binding.

You may want to do some research into the process of 'Adjudication'. This is not quite like taking him to court, but will get the facts assessed by an independent adjudicator who will be able to mediate the situation. They should be able to see and assess the workmanship and be able to value the work that has been completed so that you would only have to pay the builder for the work he is due... you may even find the builder is ordered to return money to you...

Then you can have everything cleared and get the various issues resolved.

The trouble as far as I can see though is that Adjudication requires a Contract... and it doesn't seem very clear from what you've written so far exactly what form this took.

The good thing is that the Adjudication process should not take more than one month to be resolved, so is all round much more cost and time effective than court and the final decision is still legally binding.

Ok but i do not have a contract but just an estimate written on a piece of paper, also the adjudication process, who pays for the costs? because i suppose he won't pay for it.

Ok but i do not have a contract but just an estimate written on a piece of paper

At the beginning he started putting extra expenses on the quote.

He was supposed to do a shower room ant put £700 on his original quote.

He gave us a quote by email, quote he had written on a piece of paper with prices

and it's part of the quote,

on top of the £700 he quoted

Nothing was in written apart from the original quote.

We paid everything from the quote.

this wa part of the original quote

We never signed anything, it was just a quote on a A4 sheet of paper.

you have seen the picture of the shower room, he quoted £700

we wanted a brick wall and he said he quoted for non brick wall

You need to be clear if you have an estimate or a quote, since you keep using both terms.

What is wrong with the window? how can you tell it is incorrect.

Are you serious? you can see how warped it is on your photo! or is that due to your camera lens?

Sorry he wrote estimate. For the window i supposed i am used to the way it looks. But why is it like this?

Sorry he wrote estimate. For the window i supposed i am used to the way it looks. But why is it like this?

If you look at the small gap between the 2 openers, the distance between them looks larger at the bottom than the top, can you confirm if that is the case? Also, if you look at any of the horizontal lines, they seem to bow, can you hold a long straight edge against them and confirm if the are straight or bowed? The cill looks like it curves, can you confirm if it's like that in real life, or just an effect from your camera lens?

You said the window is 'too high and like a banana'. Windows aren't normally banana shaped! This is why you need to get somebody in. I suspect there are quite a lot of issues you are not seeing or you are seeing but not recognising as wrong - like banana shaped windows.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back