How To Glue Patch To Polyethylene Ground Sheet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not strictly building related, but may come under the materials heading. I have a ground sheet on my tent with a nouse hole in it. The ground sheet is made of thin polyethylene sheet, same as some budget tarpaulins.

I want to glue a patch of the same material to the ground sheet. What would be the best glue? I believe that plumbers solvent weld is suitable for polyeth. On thin sheet, would this work, or just melt the sheet? Obviously thin polyeth. sheet is a lot thinner than the poly pipe it's intended for.

This type of groundsheet -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-Atl...47133&sr=8-1&keywords=gelert+grey+groundsheet

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
A bit of a difficult one, this.....solvent weld is really acrylic based rather than polyethylene and you would need a solvent base of toluene or benzine, maybe.
A professional repair would probably weld the patch in, but for a DIY repair
I'd try hot glue.....at least if it failed there would be no damage and the glue could be peeled away.
John :)

Sheets are jointed by sewing the seam so maybe patches are as well?
You could carry a piece of suitable waterproof sheet to lay on the under the damaged area first?
litl

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents. After a great deal of research, it looks like there is a specially made product out there - Tarpaflex Tarp Tape, especially for polyethelyne sheet. Will stick a piece on either side and replace when it eventually fails.

Shame I can't do a more permanent repair, being a new tent. But as you have advised, polyeth. isn't easy to bond. As long as it stops the water and ants coming in, that's all that counts. Oh, and a mousetrap will be one of my new camping essentials. :evil:

http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/Tarp-Tape.html

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back