How to hang heavy lined curtains on double glazed windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a new pvc double glazed bay window installed in my bedroom next week but am at a lost as to how I will re-hang the heavy curtains. Can I drill holes in the top of the plastic? At the moment I have a plastic track that is screwed into the wooden frame. Any ideas would be appreciated. :idea:

Sponsored Links
mexicano said:
Can I drill holes in the top of the plastic? At the moment I have a plastic track that is screwed into the wooden frame. Any ideas would be appreciated. :idea:
Not a good idea; the plastic frame is not solid but quiet a thin shell & in all probability, wont provide enough support & could even distort the frame over time. I wouldn’t want to start drilling holes in my nice new windows either!

You could hang them from timber battens fixed across the ceiling joists but failing that, new curtains hung on the inside of the bay window may be the only answer.

Richard C said:
mexicano said:
Can I drill holes in the top of the plastic? At the moment I have a plastic track that is screwed into the wooden frame. Any ideas would be appreciated. :idea:
Not a good idea; the plastic frame is not solid but quiet a thin shell & in all probability, wont provide enough support & could even distort the frame over time. I wouldn’t want to start drilling holes in my nice new windows either!

You could hang them from timber battens fixed across the ceiling joists but failing that, new curtains hung on the inside of the bay window may be the only answer.

Sorry being a bit thick here, what do you mean hang them on the "inside"? When the old wooden frame is removed next week all the wood will be removed and replaced with plastic, that is what I understand will happen. All I will be left is a two inch gap between the ceiling and the new plastic frame. And the ceiling has some sort of beading running along the edge so I can't screw the curtain track into the ceiling. I should have thought this thru before I ordered the new window!! :oops:

mexicano said:
Sorry being a bit thick here, what do you mean hang them on the "inside"?
I meant on the inside of the bay- where the room meets the bay window not on the inside of the window itself where you have them at the moment!

Sponsored Links
Richard C said:
mexicano said:
Sorry being a bit thick here, what do you mean hang them on the "inside"?
I meant on the inside of the bay- where the room meets the bay window not on the inside of the window itself where you have them at the moment!

I'm going to wait until the window is installed then I will ask the guys what they suggest. You got a good idea though. Thanks for the advice.

I assume that you are having a new window within an existing bay and not a completely new bay. The ceiling, of the bay itself, will have battens running from the front to the back to which the bay ceiling plaster/board is fixed. When the new window is installed, the outer ends of these battens are likely to be revealed. If you ask the installers to mark the location of these battens, ie, felt tip pen on the bay ceiling, you will then be able to fix a shaped wooden batten, onto the bay ceiling, and the curtain track can then be fitted securely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back