How to install an earth rod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just been browsing the site (day off - nothing better to do) and following a question about earthing someones reply included the line "The problem with earth rods is that most people just bang them in the ground and don't install them properly" (or something like that)

My question is, how do you install an eartrh rod other than just banging it in the ground - and obviously measuring the ELI?

I'm still in the early days of training so excuse if this is a dumb question!

Sponsored Links
Get an Earth electrode resistance tester. Bang a rod in, take 3 readings from different areas of the ground. Work out deviation from average mean etc.

It's all in the guidance note 3 , I just can't remember the values of the top of my head!

The method described above is required if you are installing an electrode for a generator or transformer etc.
If you are installing an electrode for a domestic supply i.e. a TT which is RCD protected then you may measure the earth fault loop path of the electrode using an earth fault loop impedance tester. The theoretical maximum figures are based around the 50v (or 25v for some special loc's) however a for reliability a figure of 200 ohms should not be accepted (100 ohms if you're NICEIC).

should the rod also be encased in an accessible trap as well for future inspections?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back