How to know if an electrcian is qualified in Scotland?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am wanting some electrical work done and have found an electrician but hiw do I know if he's qualified? Is there a certain qualification he has to have and I can look this up?
I know electricians don't need to be registered with any particular body.
But surely something qualification wise? Don't want to ask him are you qualified and what qualifications do you have?
Is there a more gentle way to do it?
Like just Google their name or company number on a certain website?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The highest level in the regulations was Competent person. A person who possesses sufficient technical knowledge, relevant practical skills and experience for the nature of the electrical work undertaken and is able at all times to prevent danger and, where appropriate, injury to him/herself and others.

This has now been combined with Skilled, but the point is it does not list any exam, or apprenticeship to show one is skilled. I can sign my names with FDeng behind it, but that could be in motor vehicle engineering, I have a whole list of exams passed and I had to take these into where I volunteer for them to be registered so insurance would cover.

I have taken a briefcase with my qualifications to interviews for jobs, but often these were not even looked at, so even working for a large firm they did no know what my qualifications were.

I was a member of the IET, costs every year so dropped when I retired, but they accepted me as recommended by lecturer when doing my degree, so they don't really know if I am an electrician.

Scheme membership does require one to have some qualifications and have access to test equipment, but the firm can be a member as well so in that case the electrician does not need it, so only when a sole trader does scheme membership help. This was the whole idea of the schemes, it was so the home owner knows the person doing the work has the skill. And if not a member one is not suppose to display the scheme name or logo on anything be it an advert, sign writing on the van, or paperwork, but I can by a pad of EICR forms with the scheme name on them clearly stating for use by non scheme members once one reads the small print, and when I worked as an inspector the electricians mate would take the van home, so if he did a job on the side he would arrive in a van with the logo on it.

In Wales our Part P does not allow much domestic to be done without registering the work, England is not as strict, so can see why some electricians would say most of my work is commercial, so simply not worth my while becoming a scheme member. As an industrial electrician my wages were far higher than I could get as a domestic electrician, so even before Part P I would only do domestic when industrial work had dried up.

It is the same with most trades, even the boiler inspectors at work are not gas safe, they will be members of some professorial body, but where I work we have real boilers, not simple water heaters, they not only boil the water, but some produce super heated steam, and our firemen light fires, they do not put them out.

My son now industrial like I was, but he started as an electricians mate and would fully wire houses with the electrician calling in once a week to see how he was getting on. He was doing the same thing with every house, it was at that point a boring job, he did not need to make good, working on new houses, he simply followed a plan.

Today homes are more complex, but non of us know it all, remember a plaque on father-in-laws desk, "These people who think they know it all, are specially annoying to those of us that do." and I must say as a foreman for a year I leant so much, as not doing the mundane only the hard stuff. So yes managers do tend to know a lot more than the workers, but as to if they can do the work is another question.

Sponsored Links
To see if the electrician is qualified, just ask to see his qualifications.
Don't they carry a card these days?

Don't want to ask him are you qualified and what qualifications do you have?
why not , however, unless you know what they mean
I had the letters
FSERT
Ceng (IEEE)
before
TechEng(CEI)
GradIEE

but long since stop the registration back in the late 80's
maybe better to ask for people he has worked for in past and get recommendations

I have had 2 electricians in the home - 1) was subcontract for the kitchen and bathroom installation, so had little choice , as it was their preferred provider
the one used by the kitchen/bathroom fitters I have since had to a) have back to put some missed things right - like the Earth from the copper water pipe and gas - as that was just left lose in the loft and a RCD fault - due to him putting aboard down in loft and a screw near/cutting just the wire , and was so close , that it was only when i went in the loft and moved the board slightly it had an issue!!!!!!!
I have since carried out a lot of remedial work , loose wires in a junction box - which shorted - more T&E near screws and just laid on top of joists , faulty poor quality switch for the shower

so even with qualifications , you still get bad work

Just interested:

a) have back to put some missed things right - like the Earth from the copper water pipe and gas - as that was just left lose in the loft
Not Earth but Equipotential Bonding; however it is unlikely to be required in a loft.

Do you know what it was exactly?

Is the boiler in the loft and was it the plumbers' favourite - unnecessary "cross-bonding"?

no boiler not in loft
earth from mains in water isolation tap - which was already there - he did update
Earth from the gas meter
just left the end of the cable from the incoming mains tap in the loft - bungalow
and the gas meter was also just left dangling in the loft

You are not explaining it very well.

The incoming water and gas pipes, if metal, should be bonded at their point of entry to the premises.

Even for a bungalow, this presumably will not be in a loft.

and the gas meter was also just left dangling in the loft
:?:

The incoming water and gas pipes, if metal, should be bonded at their point of entry to the premises.
yes they are connected at the point of entry into the premises - Water isolating tap is in the bathroom
They are metal and had been bonded in the past
ON a refit to the bathroom, I know the electrician left a message , as away at the time, that he had uprated the earth cable from the incoming mains tap for the bungalow which is Copper pipe.
however, he had left the other end of the cable just in the loft and not connected to the consumer unit , no idea why the gas was also left like that , he said he had bonded at the point the gas pipe comes into the home , BUT it was already connected to consumer unit , but thats how i found it and had him back to put right it all right, he had signed off on the certificate that the work had been done.

On the return I also checked with him exactly what he had done and where connected at the consumer , he was sorry and said he was very stressed due to a recent bereavement and forgot

I only happened to be sorting out the tank in the loft when i saw the earth cables laying beside the tank
nolonger have a tank now just a combi boiler

hope thats a little clearer

Well, that’s frightened another punter away.
That could be a rather hasty conclusion. I would personally not say that the absence of the OP's reappearance some 20 hours after his posting of a message a couple of hours before the start of a holiday weekend necessarily means that he has been 'frightened off'!

I'm looking at electrcians in Scotland and honestly none have any kind of way of verifying their qualifications or if they are registered with any kind of governing body either.
Probably best to just see recommendations and reviews.

I'm looking at electrcians in Scotland and honestly none have any kind of way of verifying their qualifications or if they are registered with any kind of governing body either.
What do you mean when you say that none of them have "any kind of way of verifying their qualifications or if they are registered ..."?

If they have any qualifications or registrations, they surely would have some sort of certificate/whatever to document that, wouldn't they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back